OT - cheapest smartphone under ?100

Looking for a cheap and basic backup phone, SIM free.

lists the:

Wileyfox Spark at £65

Huawei Y3 at £49.99.

Unclear if these are SIM free.

However I am having trouble finding the Huawei anywhere and the Wileyfox shows up at £80 on Amazon.

Are there any wily phone shoppers out there who can recommend a phone at around the £50 mark? Good for SMS and voice calls? No requirements for fancy screen, fast processors, high resolution camera, yada yada.

Sticking with Android for the moment because everyone is familiar with the interface.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Can't you still buy featurephones in the supermarkets for about a tenner? Phone calls and text is all they do. No need for Android at all.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I noticed the link date. The article itself is dated 2018. Thanks for the link - I've just been nosing around Carphone Warehouse (their web site is crap) and there are a few around that price and some very cheap dumb phones.

Looks like there are options.

Feet better than Google on this occasion.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Tesco this afternoon.

£4.99 linked to Tesco Mobile £14.99 unlocked

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

In message , Chris French writes

My recent experiences with Argos have been pretty dire. A watch bought for my wife had a battery that lasted under 3 months, and a cheap Casio watch I bought for myself to get an alarm turned out to be a very obsolete version (the colour of the backlight gave it away).

They don't have them at the moment, but my 5" Medion smartphone from Aldi (49.99) has had free maintenance** during its 3 year warranty.

Medion seem to be owned by Lenovo, who did the repairs.

** It needed a new screen and then went back again because when it came back it wouldn't charge.

My other Android 6 phone is just a generic off ebay. It cost ?24.95 and is a bit lower spec, but has been fine.

Reply to
Bill

I've got an Alcatel U5 which is very good with a few limitations.

Currently available (SIM free) from Argos for £69.95:

Max Demian

I'd suggest having a look at some of the direct from China deals from firms like Gearbest. Bought a Redmi 4X a while back for

Reply to
RJH

Problem with cheap second hand iphone is that the battery is usually stuffed and not that cheap to replace unless you diy that.

Reply to
samchunk

We've had several Moto's around the family. I'm currently on a G5 which is above your limit, but E4 and C Plus are under £100.

Reply to
newshound

My basic phone on Tesco Mobile cost £5 + £10topup. My smartphone (MotoC) from tesco cost £65 +10 to unlock it (I now use it on Three which is much cheaper for data).

Reply to
DJC

Have a look at the low-numbered Nokias, eg the Nokia 1:

It's an Android Go phone so it should get regular software updates, unlike most of the other phones in this class which are just 'landfill Android'.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Wileyfox has gone out of business. Pity, because it used CyanogenMod - now replaced by LineageOS.

Reply to
PeterC

I thought it did a phoenix?

Reply to
Andy Burns

True - although while not every phone is eligible, mine was replaced by Apple for £25 at 80% 'capacity' remaining. Not bad I thought for a near

5 year old phone.
Reply to
RJH

Yep

samchunk

Yes, but those that qualified for that cheap battery replacement were never anything like as cheap to buy second hand as the OP requires. They still aren't and that cheap battery replacement runs out at the end of this year.

Reply to
samchunk

Thanks for that - I was rather interested in them.

Reply to
PeterC

th

under £4. Easy to fit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was being tempted by the really cheap voice+text handsets but it appears that they are mainly 2G.

However my current SIM is with Virgin Mobile and that should work in a 2G handset, I believe.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David