OT - cheapest smartphone under ?100

Looking for a cheap and basic backup phone, SIM free.
<https://3g.co.uk/guides/best-smartphones-for-under-100-2014 lists the:
Wileyfox Spark at £65
Huawei Y3 at £49.99.
Unclear if these are SIM free.
However I am having trouble finding the Huawei anywhere and the Wileyfox shows up at £80 on Amazon.
Are there any wily phone shoppers out there who can recommend a phone at around the £50 mark? Good for SMS and voice calls? No requirements for fancy screen, fast processors, high resolution camera, yada yada.
Sticking with Android for the moment because everyone is familiar with the interface.
Cheers
Dave R

On 16/10/2018 12:54, David wrote:

Can't you still buy <ahem> featurephones in the supermarkets for about a tenner? Phone calls and text is all they do. No need for Android at all.
Nick
On 16/10/2018 13:40, Nick Odell wrote:

Tesco this afternoon.
£4.99 linked to Tesco Mobile £14.99 unlocked
Nick
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 13:41:31 +0100, Chris French wrote:

I noticed the link date. The article itself is dated 2018. Thanks for the link - I've just been nosing around Carphone Warehouse (their web site is crap) and there are a few around that price and some very cheap dumb phones.
Looks like there are options.
Feet better than Google on this occasion.
Cheers
Dave R

My recent experiences with Argos have been pretty dire. A watch bought for my wife had a battery that lasted under 3 months, and a cheap Casio watch I bought for myself to get an alarm turned out to be a very obsolete version (the colour of the backlight gave it away).
They don't have them at the moment, but my 5" Medion smartphone from Aldi (49.99) has had free maintenance** during its 3 year warranty.
Medion seem to be owned by Lenovo, who did the repairs.
** It needed a new screen and then went back again because when it came back it wouldn't charge.
My other Android 6 phone is just a generic off ebay. It cost ?24.95 and is a bit lower spec, but has been fine.
--
Bill

writes

But you'll have a problem getting a new battery for it when it needs one. You can't just get one from ebay or aliexpress or amazon.

No they are not.

They are paid to do that by Medion.

Pasted from the Medion website:
MEDION® is a leading manufacturer of Laptops and Desktops with a focus on high spec Gaming Laptops, PC’s, Ultrabooks and Everyday Laptops for competitive prices. We have been operating successfully for over 25 years and have been part of the Lenovo group since 2011, offering computing products to major retailers in the UK
Parent organizations: Lenovo, Lenovo Germany Holding GmbH
--
Bill

On 16/10/2018 12:54, David wrote:

I've got an Alcatel U5 which is very good with a few limitations.
Currently available (SIM free) from Argos for £69.95: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7528028
--
Max Demian

On 16/10/2018 12:54, David wrote:

I'd suggest having a look at some of the direct from China deals from firms like Gearbest. Bought a Redmi 4X a while back for <£100 - I'm far from an expert but seems very good to me. At least as quick as an iPhone 6 with much better battery and a larger screen.
Incidentally, can you use apps you've bought across multiple devices? If so, I'd stick with Android as you suggest. If not, maybe have a play with a secondhand iPhone.
--
Cheers, Rob

Problem with cheap second hand iphone is that the battery is usually stuffed and not that cheap to replace unless you diy that.
On 16/10/2018 20:48, samchunk wrote:

True - although while not every phone is eligible, mine was replaced by Apple for £25 at 80% 'capacity' remaining. Not bad I thought for a near 5 year old phone.
--
Cheers, Rob

Yes, but those that qualified for that cheap battery replacement were never anything like as cheap to buy second hand as the OP requires. They still aren't and that cheap battery replacement runs out at the end of this year.
On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 20:49:01 UTC+1, samchunk wrote:

ox

at

s for

m far

e 6

th

under £4. Easy to fit.
NT

Decent batterys with any chance of being viable for long cost a rather more than that. https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-4S?display=list&filters [Batteries]=on
On 16/10/2018 12:54, David wrote:

We've had several Moto's around the family. I'm currently on a G5 which is above your limit, but E4 and C Plus are under £100.
On 16/10/2018 12:54, David wrote:

My basic phone on Tesco Mobile cost £5 + £10topup. My smartphone (MotoC) from tesco cost £65 +10 to unlock it (I now use it on Three which is much cheaper for data).
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

Have a look at the low-numbered Nokias, eg the Nokia 1: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8142757
It's an Android Go phone so it should get regular software updates, unlike most of the other phones in this class which are just 'landfill Android'.
Theo
On 16 Oct 2018 11:54:25 GMT, David wrote:

Wileyfox has gone out of business. Pity, because it used CyanogenMod - now replaced by LineageOS.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
PeterC wrote: