Cheapest Freeview

Wheres the cheapest place to get a freeview box for Xmas?!

Reply to
Quigs

Try Googling/asking it on uk.tech.digital-tv - this is the kind of question that they get asked all the time and are very helpful there.

David Hearn

?

Mind you,there is no gain becuase its all recycled s**te from other channels.

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Macro? £40 - £50 We got 1 last year and I thought it was quite good for the money nothing else to pay........... except for what SWMBO spends on QVC!

Reply to
simon beer

It gets asked in uk.tech.digital-tv almost everyday, expect to pay 60 quid for a new one

*Richer sounds are doing some cheap ones, including a reconditioned Grundig for 40 quid

compare the different models at the bottom of this page

't buy an old on/itv digital box as it will never get updated and no interactive

Regards

Chris

Reply to
Chris Vowles

tarquinlinbin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's Freeview all right

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

remember though that the cheaper ones will generally not have the interactive capability.

Reply to
Wdyw

Wdyw said

Agreed - or a timer or 2 SCARTs or RF pass-through or an RF modulator...

Reply to
Freda

This seems a real bargain - basically very similar to Sky PLus but for freeview

Pace twin Freeview receiver PVR for £209:

friends just bought freeview - they initially bought a pace model from argos - but it would not hold a signal properly. They paid for an engineer to visit and check aerial, cabling etc. Still no joy. 2nd PACE box was the same. Exchanged it for a Goodmans!!! - that worked perfectly

Engineer reckoned PACE are good for Sky but not so good for freeview

Currys, Sainsburys, safeway and Argos did freeview boxes for £39 recently - keep your eyes peeled for a repeat

sPoNiX

-- Regards

Hays

T610 Housings in stock now!!

hays

...just looking at the schedules for BBC4 and 6Music and that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Reply to
John W

Try a dabs value = £58.99 inc VAT at

Mark Harwood

Currys were doing them for about £40....

Reply to
Biscuit

OTOH, you can't get widescreen on analogue. If you have a widescreen TV, you need a digital signal. Otherwise, you'll end up with bars down the side, or have to use that horrible distortion mode that makes it look like a fairground mirror.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Try a bit of latral thinking...

Get the free-installation deal from SKY and get a fill dish and decent satellite box for £1.00 installation. You only have to pay for 1 month at £39.00 - ish and then downgrade your package to

12.99 or less for the other 11. After 1 year, it's all yours. Get a freeview card for it from the BBC and its cost you not very much.
Reply to
Howie

Sorry, my proof-reading isn't as good as it was. Here are the corrections ! :

|Try a bit of _lateral_ thinking...

and

|and get a _free_ dish ...

Reply to
Howie

Firstly the BBC don't do the free-to-view (not Freeview) cards any more since they moved their channels off the encrypted satellite. You can still get them from Sky or somewhere else - not sure - I think its £15.

Costs of getting a free dish and satellite box:

£1 - installation £39.99 - first month £12.99 x 11 = £142.89 rest of year £15 - Free-to-view card used at end of year

Total = £198.88

Or Freeview:

£40 - £80 depending on what options you want.

Okay, you get a year's subscription to Sky in the top one, but surely, if someone wanted Sky, they'd get Sky, not Freeview!

David Hearn

|Firstly the BBC don't do the free-to-view (not Freeview) cards any more |since they moved their channels off the encrypted satellite. You can still |get them from Sky or somewhere else - not sure - I think its £15. | |Costs of getting a free dish and satellite box: | |£1 - installation |£39.99 - first month |£12.99 x 11 = £142.89 rest of year |£15 - Free-to-view card used at end of year | |Total = £198.88

| |Or Freeview: | |£40 - £80 depending on what options you want. | |Okay, you get a year's subscription to Sky in the top one, but surely, if |someone wanted Sky, they'd get Sky, not Freeview! | |D

My freeview card was free, so that makes your total guess £183.88

You must remember that I was only giving another possible option! What any individual might be prepared to pay for different possibilities of completing a task will be different. In this case, it _might_ be worth an extra £110 quid-ish to get a higher quality picture, more (crap) channels, full digital options and a subscription to even _more_ (crap) channels for a full 12 months.

Reply to
Howie

I saw a freeview video recorder the other day. You could use that as your set top box, and it also has the advantage of being programmable from the EPG.

I don't know which channels support it, but I dimly remember it only starts recording when the program starts (taking it's cue from the info for the banner at the bottom).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Freeview video recorder - as in video tapes? I've been looking for these sorts of things for a while - but all the peeps on uk.tech.digital-tv point out that a manufacturer producing a unit to record a digital channel onto an analogue tape is unlikely to happen (poor quality etc) - whereas you're more likely to see ones that use an internal hard drive to store it in high quality, or DVD writers with Freeview.

David Hearn

Its a daewoo SV900 if you want a bit of a google, and yes it does go on tapes. They are shipping about 2000 over here soon apparently, so I don't know if you would ever see one... could start other manufacturers releasing them.

There is also a hard drive type recorder in argos for about £350, and a pointless DVD player (yes player) with freeview for £200.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith