Good product

Ive just installed a tp-link home plug Ethernet network extender. Just plug them in, press a button on each, and they work. Why cant more IT kit be so simple.

Bonus is it even works in the workshop 40 yards away:-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Which model? How does your download speed compare with an Ethernet connection direct to your router?

Reply to
John W.

They are tp-link AV600 2 port

Download 14.5 mbps Upload 1 mbps

Which as as quick as my wi-fi connection. I don't have a direct Ethernet connection available since moving house and don't want to start running cables as we have a major re-jig planned for next year when I retire, hence buying these.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

What mains interference does it cause to a short wave radio? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Indeed, If mains was meant for hi speed data it would be screened. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

OK, thanks. I'm new to this poweline stuff and learning.

Reply to
John W.

Because some stuff like setting up your new smartphone can't be done with just a simple button press. You have to give it more information than that.

Reply to
samchunk

I have a cheap TP-Link wifi extender which is similarly easy to use.

Wall wart size, rebroadcasts but also has an ethernet socket that I connect to the hub in my office.

Never had much luck with the plug type myself.

Reply to
newshound

I zapped 2 sets of these within a relatively short time (probably spikes from hair dryers, etc.) before changing to BT units, which have been trouble-free (and much faster) for the last 2 years, touch wood.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

If UTP CAT5e was meant for high speed data it would be... oh hang on a moment ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

TP Link (and others) do a range of products at differing speeds... The oringinal devices worked at 14 mbps, then later ones moved to 85, then

200, then 300, 600, and now 1.2mbps. Note these are maximum figures - longer more "difficult" runs (e.g. from one circuit to another) will get lower throughputs.
Reply to
John Rumm

I've got a set by Netgear which work well enough but the receiver bit occas ionally has to be reset; switching off and on again does the trick which ma kes me wonder (a) why it loses sync in the first place and (b) why it can't then renegotiate the connection.

Reply to
Halmyre

19th edition will have a requirement for twisted pair T+E!
Reply to
Bob Eager

I got the same result with a Medion P85019 (MD 86977)

Just bad design.

Reply to
samchunk

You get that when you pull cable off the side of a reel anyway IME ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

And proper constant impedance junction boxes? With defined impedance appliances and appropriate wideband transformers?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Totally shit firmware mostly.

I had - may even still have - a TPling ADSL router taht was sup[posed to be able to do various firewally things.

It was in the manual, it was iun te admins creens, but ebery possible combiantion of commands alwaytes resulted ion me needing to factory reset it.

I concluded the software and the manual were 'aspirational' and no one buys a TPlink to do complicated stuff with.

OTOH D-Link and my current little Cisco and my late and much beloved Billion all do/did eactly what they said they would.

(D-link and the Billion both died from lightning. The Ciscos PSU died from lighhning too, but a netgear one seems to work OK. I've seen Netgears die from lightning on a regular basis, and thats why I have a netgear PSU... )

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same shit with TP-Link.

Prolly same chipset.