OT Changing Mobile Phone provider

We are considering changing mobile phone provider.

I understand we need to obtain the ‘code’ from our current provider if we wish to keep our current numbers ( we change at short notice without penalty so that isn’t a concern).

We give the code to the new provider.

What isn’t clear, is the actual process.

Do I, get a new SIM with a new, number, put in the phone.

For a short while use the new number ( I understand the process is quick)

The new provider remotely then changes my new SIM to the old number.

In the past, we’ve changed provider a couple of times but never kept the old number. Back then, we didn’t use our mobiles that much.

Reply to
Brian

Get a PAC from the current provider.

Sign up with the new provider and ask to port your number; you give them the current phone number and the PAC and a transfer date (it has to be at least a certain number of days into the future, something like 5).

You can put the new SIM in the phone when you get it, but you won't receive calls/texts to the old number until it changes over.

Or you can hold onto the new SIM until the old one stops working, then swap them.

Or if you have a dual-SIM phone or one that takes eSIMs (and your new provider does those) you can run both SIMs until the number changes over, then discard the old SIM.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I just amused myself by pasting your question into ChatGPT. Here's the reply:

The process of changing mobile phone providers while keeping your current phone number, also known as "porting" your number, typically involves the following steps:

Check Eligibility:

Ensure that your current mobile number is eligible for porting. Most mobile numbers can be ported, but there are exceptions such as prepaid numbers that are not eligible in some cases. Choose a New Provider:

Select the new mobile phone provider that you want to switch to. Research different providers to find the best plan and coverage for your needs. Inform New Provider:

Inform your new mobile phone provider that you want to port your current number from your old provider. They will guide you through the process and may require some information from you, such as your current phone number, account details with the old provider, and any relevant account PIN or password. Request Porting Code (PAC or STAC):

Contact your current mobile phone provider and request a Porting Authorization Code (PAC) or Service Termination Authorization Code (STAC) depending on whether you want to keep your number or cancel your service. The PAC or STAC is a unique code that authorizes the transfer of your phone number to the new provider. It's usually provided immediately and remains valid for a certain period, typically 30 days. Provide Porting Code to New Provider:

Once you receive the porting code from your current provider, provide it to your new mobile phone provider. Your new provider will initiate the porting process, which may take a few hours to complete but can sometimes take up to a couple of days, depending on the providers involved and any potential complications. Keep Both Phones Active During Porting:

Keep both your old and new phones active and charged during the porting process. Your old phone will continue to work until the porting is complete, at which point your number will be transferred to your new phone. Confirmation and Testing:

Once the porting process is complete, you will receive confirmation from your new mobile phone provider. Test your new phone to ensure that calls, text messages, and data services are functioning correctly. Cancel Old Service (if applicable):

If you're not canceling your old service, make sure to notify your previous provider that the porting process is complete, and they can cancel your service accordingly. By following these steps, you should be able to successfully switch mobile phone providers while keeping your current phone number. If you encounter any issues during the process, don't hesitate to reach out to your new provider for assistance.

Reply to
GB

Check your intended provider allows porting, just to be on the safe side.

Text PAC to 65705, you’ll receive the code almost immediately. It’s valid for 30 days.

Get your new SIM from your new provider, this should come with details or a link to start the porting process. Choose a day for the port to take place. Either put your new SIM into your phone that morning, or wait for your current service to cease and insert it then; follow the procedure your new provider mentions.

Wait for the new service to start, it shouldn’t take long at all.

Reply to
Spike

Number portability is not optional ...

Andy Burns

I’ve recently been looking at other providers, and at least one gave a list of phone numbers that couldn’t be ported. In the way of these things, I now can’t find that info :-(

Apologies for the typo, the number to request a PAC is 65075, common to all mobile providers.

Reply to
Spike

Not all numbers which seem to be UK numbers are UK numbers; think Isle of Man and Channel Islands.

Reply to
Roger