OT: Ceramics Q

We've had a ceramic baking dish for ages ... about 2-3L capacity. Square.

Last couple of times it's been used (pasta bake) both SWMBO and I have imagined we caught the faintest waft of washing-up-liquid when serving from it.

Close inspection reveals there's a very light crack in the glaze, across the centre of the dish.

It is possible that this somehow allowed WUL to be soaked into the substrate ? Enough to taint cooking (not that we tasted it - just smelled it).

Anyway dish is for the tip ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Seems unlikely to me. Do you wash the dish by hand or in a dishwasher? If the former, do you rinse it well in clean water after washing, or just allow it to drain? Have you tried a different dish?

Many dishes used for cooking develop a crazing in the glaze - a network of fine cracks - due to repeated expansion and contraction of the glaze and substrate and a slight mismatch in the expansion coefficients between the two. This is more common with older items. But the amount of washing up liquid that could be trapped in such crazing is microscopic. We have a large meat dish that was crazed, and over the years the crazing had taken up stain from the meat juices and gravy. A soak in hydrogen peroxide in a large bucket cleaned it up nicely. You could try that before ditching it to see if it improves.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Because it tends to end up with food *really* baked on, it's left to soak, then washed by hand. We're as thorough as can be with rinsing, but it would be left to drain.

No equivalent size dish to compare ....

Which was my gut feeling

It's not an heirloom :) And the mind boggles in UK2017 at how many years trying to get enough H2O2 to fill a bucket would get me ? ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

What strength would you need? 6% to 9% is readily available to hairdressers from their sundries suppliers , at about £4 a litre buying a new dish is probably more economic.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Boots baby bottle sterilizer tablets work well to remove stains and smells from crockery.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

I'd say yes, as washing up liquid has a wetting agent in it and under the glaze there may well be a little place it can collect.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff