OT: Catastrophic breeding season for Adelie penguins in Antarctica

That can't be true, as we all know that sea level rises only started happening with global warming which only started happening post WWII when carbon dioxide levels started to escalate..

It's perfecly obvious to anyine who understands climate science that the tide gauges in the Victorian era were in fact wrong, and the readings need to be corrected so they conform to the theory of climate change post WWII.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Here's one small flock of them flying near lea Bridge road leyton E10/E17 About 3 or 4 such groups fly over regularly about 5 or 10 mins before sunset.

whisky-dave

I found this interesting comparing CO2 levels for about a year.

whisky-dave

I remember there used to be a lot of news coverage about coastal erosion darf sarf, and it was always suggested that it was due to rising sea levels. But I had a girlfriend at the time who was studying geology, and she reckoned the erosion was to be expected because since the ice under which Scotland had been so deeply buried had melted, the south really was sinking, to sort of balance it all out.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

The South East *is* sinking, I don't know at what rate. It may be that the whole land mass is tilting due to the Scottish ice having gone. That is, Scotland is rising while SE sinks. Scandy is also rising for the same reason.

However: we are in an interglacial, so expect the ice back sometime in the next 5 - 50k years.

The erosion on the coast of East Anglia is not helped by the fact that the coast there is made of mud (silt deposited back when the mouth of the Rhine was much further north.

Reply to
Tim Streater

She's right. See

, taken from

Chris Hogg

True of SW england and a litle bit SE

'Isostatic rebound'

The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher

Sea levels have been yo-yoing up and down for millennia. During ice ages, vast amounts of ice are locked up and sea levels are low. There was a time, around Neolithic times, when the English Channel was a broad valley, with a big river flowing westward and draining a large part of western Europe. Then the ice sheets melted and it flooded to a depth of about 300ft, as it is now.

In Cornwall, several wave-cut platforms have been identified, at 1000,

430, ~60 and ~20ft, corresponding to stand-stills in the relative sea/land levels over the last couple of million years or so. Most of Cornwall, apart from the high moors, is at the 430ft platform, meaning the sea level was at one time some 430ft higher than it is now.

But since Roman times, the Isles of Scilly have been sinking (or the sea rising) and quite quickly, with flooded man-made stone field walls running down out into the sea. At one time they were a single island, not the collection of islands as there is now.

But I'm never quite sure how geologists distinguish sea level rise from sinking land, as both can occur simultaneously.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

satellites are handy.

show the sea isn't rising at the moment...what?

Tjoepstil

Drat. I thought I was safe at 400ft...

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Hmm...a couple of days ago I looked at the NASA site referred to by Watts and as well as the satellite data it had a second graph showing the data from tidal gauge records from something like 1880 up to 1995, in the space underneath the MISSIONS heading,

. I thought it was a pity they didn't combine the two graphs to show the acceleration in the last couple of decades, if such there be. I don't know why they didn't, or indeed why they've just now decided to remove the tide gauge graph. Perhaps it was prompted by Watts' interest. One can't help being suspicious of these sorts of actions, especially as there are so many accusations of tampering with the raw data when it comes to AGW.

The graph on the Wiki site

from
does combine the two sets of data, and doesn't appear to show any significant change in gradient between tide gauges and satellite measurements, although it's not as up-to-date as the NASA data.

But I don't think Watts is justified in getting too excited about the fact that the sea level doesn't appear to have changed in the last eighteen months - it's to short a time period to make any firm conclusion, especially when one sees the 'noise' on the previous data; it even dipped around 2011.

There is interesting discussion below Watts' article.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Working horses were pretty rare in London and the suburbs by the end of the 50's but sparrows were common throughout the 60's.

This site says urban sparrows are down 60% since the 70's

newshound