Troll - Was Speedfit catastophic failure.

I have been following this thread all along, and there is one thing troubling me about the initial post, I cannot believe the sheds did not have a couple of No.1 compression and a length of copper.

Still IMM seems to now everything about JG and it's failings, shame he does not admit his own.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

The local shed a copper pipe, but only one 15mm compression tee. Much sadness all around.

I have no failings.

Reply to
IMM
300 kbytes cut

Actually it needs a new grab ring as well. But the idiots there have stopped selling the O rings and grab rings separately and you now have to buy all the plastic bits you don't need as well in a rebuild kit that makes it cheaper to buy T pieces for replacements.

Suffice it to say I've stopped using PP.

Reply to
G&M

Like I said. There is only one way that you can go from that position.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I just stay in the same position.

Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

John don't judge the material on your inability to use it correctly, there are millions of installations that have been carried out without any problems, the material works well and will eventually replace copper as the number one choice for the majority of pipework

Reply to
David

< snip tripe by Bertie>
Reply to
IMM

In article , IMM writes

No argument eh? just as we thought, you made a mistake and can't defend the indefensible

Reply to
David

In message , IMM writes

Elisa - are you missing the trend here?

I.e. you are patently unsafe to be let loose on a real system

Reply to
geoff

In message , IMM writes

Legs apart, arse in the air?

Reply to
geoff

Maxie, it is all coming out now. South East Asia, etc. My, oh, my.

Reply to
IMM

I can believe it - I once needed a 15mm straight compression connector and B&Q had run out. I ended up having to pay 4 times as much at Homebase.

That said, I can't believe that *ALL* the local DIY suppliers had sold out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Having let it stew at the back of my mind for a couple of days, something just struck me. What I don't understand is why it matters whether or not the 'sheds' had any solder or compression fittings...surely the consummate professional would always have a certain amount of stock of what are likely to be essential items (I know I do!) Particularly the consummate professional who owns shares in a copper mine!

Fash

Reply to
Fash

You have to read all the posts on this thread again.

Reply to
IMM

I think that "consummation" as in f*ck-up is the point here.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Speedfit f**k up regularly.

Reply to
IMM

If you are not into the realities of plumbing, then perhaps you should arrange to call out the plumber and claim on the house insurance.

I would expect the modern silicone O ring to have a life expectancy of >

30 years in the domestic home. Some of my taps(on pressures up to 4 Bar) using these as shaft seals are at least of this age and the drainage connections are even older. FWIW, I always coat the O rings with Castrol water pump grease before installation and intriguingly enough, none of them have degraded in this time span.

However, I would like to see some figures for the life expectancy of the plastic housings around the O rings in pushfit plumbing, because I have not yet seen a plastic moulding which does not suffer from embrittlement when temperature cycled.

Washing machine washers are AIUI a different material, and apart from fibre, in the past have had a shorter life.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

You are mad.

You are getting madder.

Well use some Speedfit then. They are falling apart all over the place.

Reply to
IMM

No thaey are not, it is your lack of installation skills that are to blame. Nothing else. You failed to use the correct tool and you failed to insert the pipe correctly. How you managed to c*ck it up I will not understand, just give over and admit you installed incorrectly, and it bit you on the arse.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

< snip ill-informed tripe >
Reply to