OT: Caravans

Will that be a fixed bed, which tend to be smaller, or one which needs to be arranged each night? A fixed takes up a lot of the space in a caravan, so they can be restricted for what can be installed for day use. I have always had ones which you arrange at night, it is no biggie to set up.

Look at the Bailey Pageant for either option.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

find a place you like and buy a ststic van....sorted

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

down in ayrshie all the laybys are choked with massive dormobiles some with hardly Davidsons hung in the back ....and the public toilets warn not to flush that disgusing toilet concoction down them ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

but it id not a bath....our shower off of mains pressure sand blasts you ....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

but they still do......beats me why people want thr hobo life....when they can be trailer trash like me....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I saw one with a decent motorbike on the back on Monday.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I couldn't afford (anything approaching) 40k - I'm happy enough with a lightly adapted Berlingo. But then it's just me.

You could. But mine does double as a car, which I'd have anyway.

Yes. You'll only find out the truth/myth by exploring, and sites like this are good:

And of course Scotland is a league apart - I've had some great road trips there. Plenty of toilets and basic wash facilities and free sites.

A Bongo or similar perhaps. It's as much a way of thinking. If you add up the reasons for not doing it, likely you won't. DIYing the bed/seating/cooking etc was part of the draw for me (dragging on-topic). I'm on my 2nd iteration - early days ;-)

Reply to
RJH

Highland Council has seen fit to close a number of public toilets. And there have been far too many inconsiderate caravan/camper/motorhome visitors leaving rubbish about, dumping human waste on the roadside or in the water, and treating the passing places on single track roads as places to park.

Reply to
S Viemeister

What a shame.

Idiots.

Reply to
RJH

Trailer trash ?

Reply to
Andrew

They are idiots. Promoting the NC500, and closing toilets - could they be any more irresponsible? And it's not just tourists who are inconvenienced - local people, particularly old folk, find the lack of toilets rather difficult.

Yes. It can make it difficult for responsible visitors.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Hotel is an imported French word, so should have a silent h, hence the article is an, not a.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Is hiring a caravan a practical proposition? That way you are not stuck with it if you decide it is not for you and you don't have to find somewhere to park it for the winter. I know somebody who makes quite a nice income from storing caravans over the winter, even with paying for the security needed.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Name 3 fruits that begin with 'n' :)

Reply to
R D S

nectarine nutmeg naranja (spanish for orange)

Reply to
SH

Very well done! Pissed on my joke but fair play! :)

Reply to
R D S

Well.... Not my joke, and an utterly shit one at that...

Reply to
R D S

But it doesn’t have a silent H in English, which is why “an hotel” sounds so affected and daft.

The whole business of when to use “an” or “a” is all to do with fluency of speech, not to do with the etymology of words and how they’re pronounced in other countries. Using “an” before a pronounced H is just sticking to a stupid invented rule.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There are companies which rent caravans out, just as there are companies renting out motorhomes, but they are not nearly as common and it's not cheap to do.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

The one time we tried to hire one we quickly discovered that the hire vans were much worse than the one we’d just turned over on the motorway.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+