OT Car tax to go up next week.

Won't affect either of my cars.

Reply to
harry

I am classed as disabled, so mine is free.

Reply to
swldxer1958

Why did you post that comment? Your injuries were self inflected . Anyway, how are you getting on in your new home?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It's going up on mine to over £450 a year. If I pay that much I'll leave the bastard engine running all the time.

Reply to
mm0fmf

If they want the most polluting cars to be retired, surely older cars and bigger cars should pay more tax. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The problem for blind people is that they cannot drive but tend to use other people who do, Even if they drive us all the time they do not get any reduction on their tax. Similarly we get a blue badge and yet for places like hospitals, we can only claim the lower parking rate if we can let the hospital know the registration of a car which brings us 48 hours before we come in. The system in these days of digital communication is a total balls up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That means if you are rich you can pollute as much as you like.

Reply to
charles

Just taxed mine for next month. My usual luck is to just catch an increase. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Went to a local medium sized tesco today, which has a large car park. So usually plenty room. Because of this it is popular with van drivers etc who want to park up for a sandwich lunch or whatever. And some car users doing the same. And lots seem to leave their engine running. Always a noisy diesel.

On a nice day where neither heating or air con would be needed.

I can see white van man doing it just to put one over on the boss. But why so many cars doing the same?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In my school days it was said that all you need to do was to jam a potato over the end of the exhaust pipe. has anyone tried that ?

Reply to
charles

You mean you don't qualify for one of those nice fully-expensed motability cars, that the whole family (and/or 'retail business') benefit from ?, (unlike a company car which is a benefit-in-kind, and taxed).

Reply to
Andrew

But fewer of them Charles. It's a numbers issue, 10 million diesel cars on the road and most are not EU6, and even fewer EU6 and xx68 registered (the ones without cheat software).

Reply to
Andrew

mine is.

Reply to
charles

Nor my car.

Reply to
ARW

My LR Defender 4.0 ltr V8 was c£200, my 2.5 diesel £550+

Reply to
bert

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

I once had to do a multi-point turn in a narrow country lane, which had steep grassy banks on either side. In doing do, unknown to me I backed the exhaust pipe into the bank, and plugged it with soil. This stopped the engine dead. As I was alone and miles from civilisation, panic ensued for several minutes until I realised what I had done.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Mine is one of those, but they don't differentiate much anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What happens if you give them a list of half a dozen or more registrations and tell them that it could be any one of them that brings you? When you arrive you can tell them you don't know which car you have come in because you can't see it ;)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It just means that the less well off in society, who rely upon their cars to get to work, end up paying out more than they can really afford and having to economise elsewhere. The better off meanwhile can afford newer cars.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They do. But the tax is based on the cost of the car when new. Typically, the more expensive the car the more likely it is to have a larger engine and higher CO2 gm/km figure.

But, once people have paid the bigger charge, you can't complain if the people then use what they have paid for.

Reply to
mm0fmf