OT - Car Specifications

Are DRL separate to side/dipped/main beam lights ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

There are 2 stretches of road near me where the HERE Maps speed limit is

10mph over the signed limit. It's been like that for 3 years, despite my emails.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

Never said that you couldn't, just that CC works better with an auto.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

only on a Volvo (and I don't know that's even true anymore)

tim

Reply to
tim...

;-)

Even when towing a trailer behind my 1000cc motorbike (the combo tested above 100 mph (on a test track of course)) I am limited to the 'reduced' speeds on many roads but unlike many car / caravan combinations:

Can go up any hill at a realistic speed. Can go round most corners at a realistic speed. Can still filter though traffic (the trailer is narrower than the touring cases) so don't take up any space in a traffic jam.

*Will* pull over as soon as realise I am impeding someone else and allow them past (and can do so easier than a car / caravan because I'm not as wide). I can be seen past by anyone following so not as frustrating as following a caravan (or any other large / speed restricted / slow vehicle of course).

We loved some of the roads in Scotland as they have what looks like a hard shoulder where part of the (single) carriageway is marked off with a solid white line (like a cycle lane or narrow hard shoulder or bus lane). Drivers are encouraged to pull into these lane when being overtaken by faster vehicles and in generally everyone uses them.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Apparently that's an issue for you, but it isn't an issue for me, and unless you can explain why it should be, you've just supported my point. Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes. My car has them (LED). It also has auto lights, which:

1) Come on when it's dark enough (FSVO dark) 2) Auto-dip
Reply to
Bob Eager

True on my Ford.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought most modern DRLs were separate - often LEDs.

Reply to
Clive George

Exactly. Looks like I shall have to have the software engineer thrown in the moat again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was under the impression that it is mandatory for DRL to be separate to any other light.

I can't see any point in switching DRL off. Anywhere.

Auto lights are pretty effective, for example through the tunnel on the M4 round Newport. Signs say to use dipped headlamps but lots of people don't. The auto lights snap on as you enter.

I didn't really want auto-dip and am happy with the LED lamps with manual dip.

Reply to
polygonum

Sure. But Tim reckons cruise doesn't work on manuals because it can't change down.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I'd agree that cruise generally works better on autos. My car, which stays in 7th on the M40, is auto. And on real hills, it does change down very nicely.

When I had a Saab turbo, I rarely needed to change down from 5th at any speed from about 35/40 (and could usually go slower if I really wanted). Would probably have been fairly happy to have cruise control in that.

Reply to
polygonum

as it is not mandatory to have them, that point is moot

My car does not have DRL

what do I do when I'm driving in a country that requires me to have them on all the time (and that list is longer than most people are aware of)

but what if I don't have them?

should I turn on my headlamps with dipped bean *all the time*?

tim

Reply to
tim...

yes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

DRL. A serious waste of time, and given that they are indeed mostly LED

- a bright, point source of light - very bad for some people's vision.

Reply to
Tim Streater

On grey overcast days, cars with DRL are easy to pick out before catching movement as a signal.

Always made sense why Volvos had them.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Not true. I regularly use cruise control in non motorway situations, especi ally if I'm wary of speed traps

Reply to
fred
[56 lines snipped]

I wouldn't bother - it's rubbish. Or at least the version on my Discovery was. It doesn't always actually dip, and when it does, it does it later than I would manually do so, so you get flashed a lot anyway.

Reply to
Huge

Only half as much again? Obviously you are not a real gadget freak :-)

Reply to
Nightjar