OT - Car Specifications

Very similar in the various UK factories I have visited. Nothing seems to be made for stock these days, everything has a customer waiting.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Dunno. I'm driving a ten year old freelander, and that's a torque converter too, I think

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I dont have a speed limiter

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Her Corsa 1.4 has a torque converter. IME, CVT gearboxes roll back on hills, with the possible exception of Nissan.

Reply to
Capitol

And to dry off the occupants after they have been caught in a heavy thunder shower without coats while out in the middle of a river in a rowing boat on what till then had been sunny day. BTDTGTTS.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Britains most unreliable car. Your wish could become true at any point, especially a 10-year old one.

Reply to
Andrew

Never let me down ever.

Lots goes wrong,. but its details like windows..

OK a failing fuel pump is a 40mph speed limiter of sorts ;-)

But fuel pumps go on all cars.

At least its got no timing belt. You cant limp home with a broken timing belt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use mine through roadworks where there are Specs cameras - at speeds down to 30pmh.

Reply to
Roger Mills

What sort of device is the speed limiter, and how dos it work?

Reply to
Roger Mills

As a manufacture fit they are most certainly not available on low end cars.

Agreed that they will be available as an after market modification, but then you have all the aggro of not easily being able to get competitive insurance quotes because you tick the "I have modified my car" option when (IME) 80% of companies magically now refuse to quote (despite your particular modification being a positive improvement)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Mine uses a combination of satnav and image recognition of speed limit signs.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mine's a Ford. I'm quite happy to have 'worst cars' that have not failed since 1997.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Mine works two ways.

1) Turn it on, and it sets to the current speed. Adjust it up or down as required. The car won't go faster than the set limit (unless you do kick- down), but since it doesn't use the brakes, it can go over if (say) on a hill descent - in that case it chimes and flashes. 2) Turn it on, and it obeys the current speed limit. You can set a 'margin'. This is done by use of the satnav, but primarily through image recognition of speed limit signs.
Reply to
Bob Eager

News a écrit :

I'm on my fourth car with cruise and each I used extensively. No point in having a driving aid fitted, if you don't use it. I took time to learn how all the gadgets on my car work.

The satnav, the auto wipers, the auto seat, the reverse sensors, auto climate and so on. Even how it constantly checks the caravan's lights are all working and puts a brake light on half power as a substitute when a tail bulb fails.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Auto climate is a pain in the arse.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Mike Barnes a écrit :

Mine has one of those, but other than testing to prove it works, I don't use it. I rely upon cruise to hold my speed and being a manual, it hold the set speed fairly well.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tim Streater a écrit :

No, it is great. I can just leave it to get on with it. I dislike manual control, I would be constantly having to retrim it as the outdoor ambient changed. Slightly better than basic manual, was a Vauxall I had in the early 1970's, which had a temperature sensor in the air outlet. It would adjust the coolant flow to the heater, to try to control the air inlet temperature.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The Natural Philosopher a écrit :

My satnav can bleep at you when you exceed the limit, if you enable it. Trouble is, the change limits more often than they revise the maps, so its easy to get caught out - better to always use the eyeball, with the satnav as a backup.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You mean "being a manual it holds the set speed less well than an auto".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You, me and millions of others of course. ;-)

I had the Sierra Estate 23 years and it only let me down twice (cam belt and a seized caliper) and neither cost much time or money to fix. I only got rid of it because it was getting tatty (faded (red) paint and cracked dash etc) and because I was given something 'newer'.

It's the only car I've ever really missed as it's the only car that's ever done *all* I ever needed without an issue.

Massive long roof with real gutters for roofbars to carry boats, 16' canoes and lengths of steel and timber. Plenty of (flat) room inside to take all sorts of stuff, when camping, sailing or EV racing (including the C5 as a 'pit bike' ). 2L Pinto (safe) engine with little in the way of 'computers' that cost more than I've paid for most cars to repair or replace. It towed all sorts of things, some of which it probably shouldn't and the correct wheels were driven. ;-)

The (Ford Escort based) kitcar is nearly 40 years old and still going. ;-)

Daughter loves her Transit Connect and when she was a kid her trials bike used to ride on the back of the Sierra. ;-)

But as a motorcyclist maybe I'm not so bothered about all the gimmicks and expensive 'disposable' technology you find in cars these days.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m