come again?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

me too i think;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Never delay renewing your insurance until the last week before it must be renewed.

You will find the insurers walk up the quote going from 1-month away to 1-week away to 1-day away, often as much as 10-20%.

Reply to
js.b1

And your premium has gone up as a result.

Reply to
Phil L

£200 a year premiums. I remember those. I paid £262 fully comp for my van this year with 9yrs NCD. It was an extra £80 for a protected policy. Increasing my excess from £100 to £300 saved me a few quid. Somewhere in the region of £50 ISTR.
Reply to
ARWadsworth

My protected NCB was transfered with me after my fault claim. So was the increased premium.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Is it f*ck.

It is to do with compensation claims.

A fat chav gets a small rear end shunt and suddenly claims that she cannot lift her head back far enough to pour McDonalds food(1) down her throat and then gets a "no win no fee" solicitor to sue the driver that shunted her car.

(1) Food but not as we know it.

And yes, 30 years ago I sued a motorist after I was knocked over. But I was seriously injured.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

quote almost double!! Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

So the premium increased, what's the point of paying to protect something that you've effectively lost the moment you have an accident? It's worthless - yes all insurers play along with the notion, only to fleece you out of more money - you still have to tell any insurer that you had an accident last year or 2, 3 or 4 years ago, you can't just say I've got 8 years NCB, even though I had a claim 18 months back!! As an aside, this year I paid £445 for fully comp. I'd told the insurer I had 7 years NCB, but when I got the certificate back from my previous insurer, I found that I was mistaken and it was only 6 years, so the new insurer said that I could still have the policy, but that they would have to charge me extra. When I got the letter, it was a measly £4 more - so is that all a years NCB is worth? - four quid?

Reply to
Phil L

That is when I stopped protecting my NCB.

As I learnt to my cost.

Probably. I have no wish to claim again and find out. The claim was 10 years ago.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sorry Phil, that's not right. The most likely reason to move insurers is for a cheaper quote to save money. Having an 'at fault' accident but protected NCB certainly didn't stop a new insurer giving a cheaper quote than staying with existing and renewing with them.

Reply to
John

Me too. Been a while since I've had to pay that much :-)

Reply to
Clive George

I can't recall all the details of the companies and premiums now; but do recall looking into all this (in particular the worth of paying for NCD protection) and am quite sure that had we not had the worthless bit of paper the premium would have been way higher. There may or may not have been a small loading on the basic premium for having made a claim; but nothing like as much as the amount a 60%(?) NCD saved us.

But I won't argue with you as I don't have all the info to hand... ;-)

David

Reply to
Lobster

It's all about diminishing returns though - if your error had been the difference between 1 and 2 years' NCB, the cost would have been very much more. My own policy just shows 5 years' NCB (although I haven't made a claim in 10 years) because this companies' NCB maxes out at 5 years.

David

Reply to
Lobster

ALL insurance companies know you're over 50 and less of a risk, until you get to

70, then it starts going up again. Like Saga, it's just a marketing ploy and yes, I have previoulsy been with both *when* they've been cheapest.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Except when it isn't.

Reply to
Huge

Whether it's worth it or not I always have protected NCB (only cost £10 extra on policy so seemed silly not to really), had an own-fault claim last year, this years renewal has just come through at exactly the same price as last year. Seems fairy snuff to me.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Oh, I'm paying *more* than that.

£14 more.

For a TVR.

Reply to
Huge

Mine hasn't.

Whilst what you say is largely true, it isn't 100%

Reply to
Huge

dot think I have ever paid much LESS actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher