OT car insurance

received my invitation to renew at approx 33% more than last time - no claims or anything "worse".
As usual checked moneyysupermarket and confused etc and found no better - BUT out of interest changed level of cover quoted from "comp" to "3rd party" and the premiums *increased* by 25%?
how come then?
any recommendations for (ideally) online insurers these days?
Cheers Jim K

Try Aviva
Andy C

Agreed, last year when Kwik Fit wanted close to 600 to renew, Aviva came in at just over 200 for the same cover.

for similar cover = +25% over renewal charge with Esure :<(
Jim K

Looks like we're all in for a shock, next time around ! What with more and more uninsured youngsters, staged accidents raking in millions and accident chasing lawyers, it's not looking good.
I was recently hit by an even older guy at a roundabout and was subsequently plagued by people trying to get me to say I was injured. It's immoral, but about par for the course in modern day Britain, sad to say.
Andy C

Get your government to install a no-fault accident scheme like that in NZ. Then there are no legal fees. Everybody gets medical treatment, even the tourists, no matter who was to blame.
On 13/08/2010 22:17, Matty F wrote:

We get that via the National Health Service, but what is being discussed is the injury compensation culture that has crossed the Atlantic Ocean to this country.
We have lots of ambulance chasing solicitors who act on a no win, no fee basis. Essentially, they are the lowest form of life on the planet. Get involved in a shunt that was not your fault, claim whiplash injuries etc. There is a huge industry with immigrants purposely casing accidents on the roads and claiming huge amounts off the other parties insurance.
Over here, you often come across signs that read something like... Warning, slippery floor. Now is that down to the floor being genuinely slippery, or is it down the the walker wearing the wrong footwear? Invariably it is the floor owner who takes the blame.
Dave
On 14/08/2010 00:04, Dave wrote:

Well, those very nice looking shiny stone/stone effect floors are genuinely slippery when wet, even in sane footwear. The floor owner has decided to install something pretty rather than functional.
I think the second longest time off work in recent times in our department was somebody taking a flyer on one of those in an office - hurt his back quite a lot.
OTOH I do reckon those signs are overused.

I've had a few occasions when suddenly lots of people ring me up to help me with claiming for injury for my accident, which never happened. I suspect someone makes up lists and sells them, since there are obviously people willing to pay for such lists. Quite funny to see one set of scum ripping off another.

Actually, areas of the NHS have for some time looked to recover their costs from the other party's insurance in the case of not- your-fault accidents. Being the NHS, they probably spent much more on trying, than on succeeding. Wouldn't surprise me to see this increase though.
Nevertheless, you get treated regardless, and you don't pay.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Many (most?) Authorities and Ambulance services started this in the 70's /80's.

--
John Mulrooney

at the entrance to the gents "Wet floor"
But I never do. :)
--
John Mulrooney

I've seen that higher-quote for TPFT compared to comp thing too.
After a few years shopping about on insurance for my van (SDP & work use) - I've gone back to using Norwich Union/Aviva directly.
Although I got initially cheaper online deals elsewhere - I found them backloaded with extortionate extra charges for any amendments, along with sharp practices and not-so-great customer services.
Jim K wrote:

Theory goes that if you don't care about comp. on your car, then you don't care about anybody else's car/life/garden wall either.
Increasing the excess can sometimes significantly reduce the premium.
Dave Osborne wrote:

My daughter insurance quote went up from under 300 to over 1000. A lot of insurance companies give a discount for first time buyers, then try on a huge jump the next year. shop around, and Go Compare etc only use selected companies that pay them a premium. I ended up getting the best from First Direct, but you need to try lots as they vary according to your post code.

You might try a local insurance broker we once went online and it was a real PITA dealing with distant call centres, but our local lot have done very well and been very competitive...
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Well, you got me thinking I might be missing a trick so I just nipped out to see if my local broker round the corner could better the renewal quote I've just got from Aviva (see other post), having just added my second teenager :-(.
Aviva's quote was 1,194 GBP (this is fully comp, full NCD - yes, protected(!) - for a 3-yr-old Nissan Note; guess what the broker's best quote was?)
A little north of 17,000 GBP... think I'll stick with Aviva!
David

I should find a competent broker if I were you!......

--
Tony Sayer

1,194. Are you serious?
--
Adam

Parents adding teenagers are being hammered this year particularly because it had been abused by parents in the past decade, bluntly tiny additional premium charged and "Civic VTR wrapped around a tree" 19,000 bill together with other costs shoving it to nearer 35,000. Insurers now virtually assume it is the teenager doing the bulk of the driving and hence premiums can rocket when you add them to a policy.
The solution is to go for a black box recorder insurance (I think one is charged per mileage driven) and that also builds up NCB in the name of the child which is actually very beneficial. To be honest, insurance is virtually unaffordable to many below about 25yrs old.
The UK has very poor injury cover, USA car insurance premiums are about twice ours but typically has ==200,000 cover (300,000$US). Frankly they should increase that to 500,000$US because 300,000$US does not go far if seriously injured.
A reminder to anyone with a new car, if your finance is more than 50% of the car and the car gets written off by a truck when you collect it, you need a bridging insurance policy because your car insurance will not cover the finance owed. Most people do not borrow that far, although a few do if the interest rate is low enough and cash rates are either similar or higher (not likely after Gordon Brown 2008), but if they do it can leave them with a huge uninsured gap.

is that universally true?
our last new un (59 reg) came with a dealer arranged "1week "free"" insurance - in exchange for receiving a no obligation quotation....
Jim K