OT - Car Heater stuck on

I've got a 2003 Mondeo . For those that don't know it has a comprehensive electronically controlled climate control.

It's stuck on and none of the controls will work.

It comes on when you turn the key and I can't turn it off or change any of the settings. I'm stuck with the setting the last time that I used it..

Any ideas anyone?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , tim..... writes

No but I'll take the opportunity to whinge about the relay Ford have specified to control the cooling/aircon fan on our Fiesta. Basically it ain't man enough for the job and has now twice welded closed.

This has the effect of potentially flattening the battery. On the last occasion, after a mobile phone talk through, my wife fixed it by bashing the relay with a metal sweet tin she found in the glove box!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You first need to know whether the problem is electronic (the climate control end) or electromechanical (the heater control valve). The valve is well-known to fail on the Fiesta and the Mondeo may well use the same part.

The control system sends variable-width pulses to the valve so you can't just measure the DC voltage going to the valve. Fortunately the valve is quite cheap (£25 or so) and relatively easy to replace - on the Fiesta anyway.

Reply to
Reentrant

Could the control panel have got unplugged?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't think so.

The integral display and "on" LEDs still work (FSVO work)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

My Volvo V50 did this when the cable harness in the passenger door connecting to the temperature sensor in the door mirror broke. Then the climate control did not know what was going on so became wildly erratic - stuck on heat for quite sometime.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

Adopt the system used on my Land Rover. To turn the heat on or off I open the bonnet and turn the tap that controls the hot water flowing rom the engine cooling system to the heater!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

stuck relay or bust electronics. Ouch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think the fact none of the settings can be changed (rather than the system not responding correctly to settings) if fairly obvious clue.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Sounds like you need to upgrade it to one that works, or a lower current fan. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had one of those. Used to turn it on and off while stopped at traffic lights. Got a few strange looks - especially from unwitting passengers.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I took the OP to mean that moving the controls didn't affect the heat output, not that the readouts or whatever didn't change on the console.

Reply to
Reentrant

You had passengers who didn't know they were passengers?

Reply to
Huge

Well, some of them soon wished they weren't. Especially the ones in the open back when I went over the St Stephens level crossing rather fast.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've read this about three times, and I still don't get it. There's a family fault in my car where the electric windows die because of a mangled harness into the door. But why on earth does the climate control need to know anything about the temperature of the door mirror?

I used to have a car with climate control, and AFAIK it was the temperature of the _cabin_ that mattered...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

clever ones sense outside air temps too.

when its very cold outside inside air is drier and you need to add a couople of degrees..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

it is measuring the outside temperature - I think. Certainly that it what the Volvo main dealer repaired - under warranty.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

It's a "comprehensive electronically controlled" climate control.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

a somewhat obvious comment methinks

The fan works (as I think, does the heating element)

What doesn't work is I can't turn them off.

Reply to
tim.....

There's no "controls" to move.

There are buttons to push, and pushing them does nothing. (In as far as I can tell ATM).

I'm stuck with moderately warm air coming out of the top and middle vents, which of course means that I have freezing cold air coming out of the front and top vents until the engine warms up.

tim

Reply to
tim.....