OT: Car battery volt drop

I've actually wired the dashcam to an 'always on' circuit. It will record it it detects a knock, etc.

I don't normally leave the car for more than a few days. When I did (last year) I had the dashcam out anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, the power brick is 6 x 3x 1.5 inches with a torch and USB socket as well as the short jumper lead.

DBpower DJS10

It comes in a robust 9 x 5 x 4 inch case containing all the accessories (mains charging adapter, 12V charging adapter, USB lead, short jumper lead)

Mine seems to have lasted at least 4 years and if unused for 6 months(ish) its down to, say, 80% capacity (full charge is 5 leds lit, after 6 months 4 leds lit before recharge)

Around £30?

Reply to
alan_m

The connector between the sensor and the loom usually has a link in it. No sensor connected, no circuit. It's like that on my ancient Rover. Most modern ones have a loop as a sensor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Many had a warning light too which came on when the level dropped below a fixed amount. Just like a screen washer level sensor.

And your screen washers don't stop working the second the warning comes on either. Not much point in one which did that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Back in the late 60s, add-on electronic ignition was a popular topic in many hobbyist magazines. I made one design, and although it worked, I had various problems with it.

The use of ballast resistors was also popular (where the coil primary was around 8V fed via a resistor which a relay shorts when the ignition key was being turned).

I have always been of the opinion that the most effective modification would have been to power the ignition coil from a separate (small) 12V battery, fed via a diode from the main battery.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The Ford ones didn't. It was a one pin connector. And the pads were normally o/c. No resistor or anything, apart from the pads not having a reliable earth path anyway.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Do make sure it's suitable for your actual engine, though. The cheaper ones may be OK for a smallish petrol engine - but ones for medium sized diesels and bigger petrol engines are quite a bit more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

OK. Poor design if it doesn't give you a warning things ain't right, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Sounds very much like the one I have then. ;-)

That's pretty good isn't it ... however, unless you make sure you do keep an eye on the chare they can be one of those things that get neglected and self destruct. ;-(

I was referring to the supercapacitor jobbies. You can 'charge' them from even your own 'flat' battery (as long as it has 'some' volts) over a couple of minutes and then release it back to produce enough current to start the engine (hopefully). ;-)

I think my mate bought his from Halfords but they don't seem to do them now?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

+1 That's what I remember from my Ford