G9 LED

I have had a bit of a saga converting from halogen to LED.

The fitting was served by a dimmer - as this was under loaded I was getting flickering so I bought a V-PRO LED Dimmer Module.

I was annoyed to find that the brightness when set at full on is slightly reduced.

Their technical department pointed out that dimmers work by chopping the waveform - I know - but surely there should be no chopping at the full-on position. Not impressed.

I have reverted to the original MK Dimmer and have put one halogen i the fitting to increase the load.

Seems okay now.

Reply to
JohnP

Here is a good article:

jon

There is an insertion loss with any dimmer. On tungsten too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

"Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

But why can't it be set up so that when the potentiometer is full on - the dimmer circuitry is bypassed?

Reply to
JohnP

jon snipped-for-privacy@nospam.cn wrote in news:s5ons6$pl2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thanks for the link - a bit beyond my level, but some interesting stuff to browse.

Reply to
JohnP

That is an interesting article, mentioning the Perpetua FlexFan to cool the leds. Although it would be useful for a single high-wattage led unit, I can't see how it could be used for small, domestic luminaires with several separate lights. The other thing I didn't see mentioned was any noise from the fan. Operating at 38Hz it might produce a low frequency, but annoying, hum.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

You'd need extra circuitry to do this. This would add to size and cost.

Reply to
charles

All semiconductors insert a slight loss. To totally eliminate this you'd likely need a mechanical switch to bypass the electronics.

So saying, the electronics in an LED should get round any insert loss from the dimmer. Since you're using a V-Pro, are you sure you've programmed it to go up to max?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

"Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Yes - tried the 3 modes and the max / min settings. Their Tech Dept told me to expect some loss. Not impressed.

I have reverted to a conventional MK Dimmer and have put one halogen with 4 LEDs in the fixture. Seems a lot better.

Reply to
JohnP

Not sure any other make dimmer will be better in principle? I've got V-Pro dimming the LEDs in the kitchen. I had quite a search to find LEDs to replace the PAR45 halogens, and was on the lookout to find anything to whinge about. Since this was forced on me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News