OT Can anyone guess what the van did this morning?

It's a Fiat, so there are many possibilities.

I'll guess that all the wheels fell off, and it sang Nessun Dorma. How close am I?

Reply to
GB

Self-Locked all its doors, took its brakes off and ran down a hill?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

That's what the apprentice would have said to Adam!

Reply to
Fredxx

Well it can't be anything *really* bad as you're still alive and posting.

Ran over an apprentice, all by itself, while you weren't even near it?

Reply to
Robin

Fiat ? ...turned into red dust ? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

snapped a cam belt ?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Well your vans do seem to almost act like living entities and do what they feel at the time. W had an old Austin A40 back when I was a child and if you were in a hurry you just knew the starter would jam in those wornteeth in the flywheel...... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No that is what Teslas do. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

So our breath is bated then.

I've lost track of what sort of van it is, but in my experience most mechanical things do not like use which is not regular and to the same places or used for the same job. The same thing seems to happen to things like washing machines, vacuum cleaners and garden machinery. Adjust them or get them doing a different task and something usually falls of stops or gets bunged up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No. Just dumped 50 litres of diesel on the road.

Reply to
ARW

Ah. Very, very not nice. On site and dealt with in-house or public place with emergency services attending?

Reply to
Robin

Between my house and a trip to the shop a quarter of a mile away.

Reply to
ARW

Has your caltrop-laying friend been at the tank with a screwdriver?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No but the AA are taking the piss.

Text message from them

"Due to covid19 we ask you to observe social distancing of 2M"

Reply to
ARW

I had a VW that did that. They failed to properly connct the fuel filter when it was serviced. As ever it was pissing with rain.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I remember getting a call and rushing out to help sort out my dad's company car many years ago. It'd been in to have the fuel sender replaced, before he went on holiday touring France. He got the car back in the afternoon, hooked up the caravan when he got home and they set off for the port. They got as far as the local garage, started to fill up, and petrol poured everywhere - the mechanics had had the tank out to access the sender and forgotten to re-attach the filler hose! In those days I was thin enough and agile enough to squeeze under and re-attach it without having to jack it up - hence the call to me.

Reply to
Steve Walker

And sod's law meant it wasn't even raining.

Given the engine management computer power these days I wonder why they don't have a "fuel-consumption-exceeds-maximum-even-for-Sabine-on-the-Nürburgring alarm".

Reply to
Robin

This topic reminds me of an article by Which, that said some models of cars a couple of years old were more reliable than other makes of new cars.

I think your Fiat is in the 'other' group.

Reply to
Fredxx

Were you planning to kiss the AA guy?

Reply to