OT Buying lab alcohol

Do you need a licence to buy and store 80% alcohol for lab use?

My daughter is struggling to find clear info NOT related to pubs etc.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ethanol, methanol or isopropyl alocohol?

Reply to
John Williamson

Well, we all know you don't need a permit to buy isopropanol. Unless Maplin has started checking for permits recently...

Reply to
Adam Funk

Maplins do 100% isopropyl (IIRC) alcohol for cleaning circuit boards etc.

Or are you looking for 100% ethanol ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Ethanol.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I don't know about now, but certainly health and safety are interested in significant amounts of flammable material and how its stored etc.

Maybe they can point her to other relevant info. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Probably depends how much you are buying I'd imagine. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well you could be running your motor on that stuff!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Probably best option:

1.3 Who should I ask for advice? If you need any advice, or any of the forms and notices referred to in this notice, contact our Helpline, on Tel 0300 200 3700. From:
Richard

should answer the question.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Isn't that the drinking sort? If so, it would normally have duty payable, so I'd guess there would be all sorts of hoops to jump through for lab use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. Helpful info. I've passed on the link.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

[retail sale of isopropanol]

Well, I have to admit that I've never tried to clear the shelf at Maplin of the stuff. ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

If you buy the stuff duty paid then you can do what you like with it.

Otherwise you will be supplied something that is denatured with eg. methanol, pyridine and a purple dye. What does she want it for?

Cleaning is best done with isopropanol which is less aggressive but

*very* unpleasant if splashed in the eyes so wear eye protection.

AnalaR grade ethanol 99.7+% is distilled over benzene to break the water azeotrope and is decidedly not fit for human consumption.

Reply to
Martin Brown

at Maplin it's be top of the shelf stuff like decent whiskies in pubs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

How much is it at maplin? I pay about 4 quid for 500 ml from my local chemists.

Reply to
David Paste

That last item is considered "denatured", isn't it, & untaxed?

Reply to
Adam Funk

Of course, an alternative would be to call up a lab supplier and ask them. I *think* lab ethanol is/can be duty free if the institution is approved appropriately.

One of the first things I learned in the lab (from an old hand who was an organic chemist) is you should never drink the absolute EtOH, for the reason given by Martin Brown. Always worth keeping some 90% in stock though, in case emergency cocktails are required ;)

Reply to
GMM