OT but relevant.

Anyone come across a bulk source for packet soup?

Toast, cup of soup (oxtail is good Tim and shows they use all the animal), banana and a slice of whatever cake I find in the tin makes an easy d-i-y lunch.

The shopping dept. comes home from Waitrose with packs containing 3 or 4 packet soups. It must be possible to purchase these packs in bulk and I wonder if anyone has found a source.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Wholesalers will do you bulk packs but whether they work out cheaper is another matter. See eg

but check locally as delivery is likely to be prohibitive

PS

I have to say the DIY element in that lunch falls rather short of the standard set by John Rumm projects - the more so if you didn't make the cake in the first place ;)

PPS

With John of course I'd be waiting with interest to see how he dressed the stones for his mill :)

Reply to
Robin

Or Costco or Makro.

Depends on what else you can tack onto the order to trigger a free delivery threshold. Or possibly "click and collect". Several of the local wholsalers around here started methods of selling "retail" when the lockdown happened and they where stuck with loads or produce/products as the restraunts/pubs/hotels etc stopped buying.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Costco?? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Never looked, hardly ever have it.

And you will only get 0.5% of actual ox-tail in yer packet of ox-tail soup (if you are lucky). ;-)

And this sort of things:

Water, Tomatoes (5%), Glucose Syrup, Maize Starch, Beef (2%), Vegetable Oils (Palm, Sunflower), Oxtail (0.5%), Salt, Roasted Barley Malt Extract, Flavourings (contain Celery, Milk), Flavour Enhancers (Monosodium Glutamate, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium

5'-Ribonucleotides, Glycine), Emulsifiers (Pentasodium Triphosphate, Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Milk Proteins, Sugar, Onion, Black Pepper Extract, Colour (Paprika Extract), Smoke Flavouring Dietary Information Contains Barley, Contains Celery, Contains Milk, May Contain Wheat

So, it looks more veg and chemicals than anything to do with an ox. ;-)

That's good for you ...

Is it a magic tin or just very big?

I'd say more like a 'pick-n-mix' lunch, given you won't have actually

*made* any of it.

Did you forget you were a farmer Tim and with all the land you have there you could have some real veg in some real soup pretty quickly?

If yer chef is away we can do you some frozen / microwaveable meals that would be both nutritious and tasty (and some more cakes for the tin. We have just had a slice of some very nice / rich birthday cake given to us). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

ISTR getting some from Makro once - a box about the size of your average cuppa soup box, but full filled with powder rather that sachets.

(I think they needed a bit of "cooking" though rather than just add boiling water - so probably add water and microwave). I will have a look see if I can find the details.

Yup found one: McDougals Thick Chicken Soup mix - 25 portions. Add required amount to small quantity of water and mix to a paste, add the rest of the water. Bring to boil add simmer for 5 mins.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well you may be disappointed to learn that today's offering was a toasted onion and chive bagel, with lettuce, some cold roast beef, and a spoon of potato salad. Total DIY involvement was cutting the bagel in half and slapping it in the toaster.

Hmmm, now that gives me an idea...

Perhaps a big counterweight suspended bandsaw, then it can double for freehand bandsaw carving, and the preparing the odd side of beef!

Reply to
John Rumm

Knorr do most of their powder soups in 25 serving pots. Available from several places online, including Amazon.

Reply to
nightjar

I get the chappess up the road to dress the stones and grind the wheat. She's got a proper water mill.

But I do make my own bread. Using organic wheat milled as above. And jolly nice it is too. Especially as it contains one of the few things you really can get for free. Yeast.

And I make my own soup. Today's was gammon hock, lentil, potatoes, carrots, onions. And lots now in the freezer - soup and bread.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Shouldn't you be rejoicing?

You're encouraging Mr Lamb to check how much meat is in his soup and ensuring it is higher than your 0.5%.

Reply to
Fredxx

I didn't get lunch as I happened to be visiting a neighbour (while it's still allowed) when she got a new fridge delivered and of course it needed unboxing and then muggins here pointed out she needed to reverse the door.

Which was not easy as her kitchen wasn't big enough to lie it on its back to get the bottom hinge post out.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

OK Ta. I'll have to check prices with the purchasing dept!

Well I do add the boiling water thanks to Mr. Quooker and slicing cake requires a degree of precision.

I excavated a full size but broken one a few years back. Quickly re-buried in case the local museum got wind as we are said to have one of 4 Doomsday book water mills:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We weren't buying enough from Costco to justify the annual charge and I don't know Makro.

Good thinking.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

Total 20g.

Yummy.

Someone else fills it so an exciting exploration.

Touché.

I have Celeriac, Calabrese, Potato, Carrots, Beetroot, Chard, Lettuce, an occasional Fig, lots of green Peppers, plenty of Leeks and Parsnips on the way. These are on the supper menu.

Time is what I don't have and, apart from the shopping, my lunch does not involve anyone else.

Chef is here but limping and currently very deaf!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think that is one of the options from Bachelors upthread.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Indeed. Appears to require saucepan and cooking time. The cup a soup brews while I am waiting for the toaster.

Amazon seem to have some possibilities. Order every other month to get their free deliveries:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb
<snip>

;-)

<snip>

Ah, the cake fairy. ;-)

<snip>

Did you know you said that out loud and will now be lambasted as a 'veggie'? (even if you have it with a side of beef)? ;-)

Fairy nuff. We do have a soupmaker (it was dead when I went to use it last, another job on the list) and it really made making 'good / healthy' soup very easy. Chuck a few things off yer list in, a stock cube and some water up to the line, press the button and go do stuff for another 20 mins (or longer, they hold the heat for ages and can have a warming mode or can reheat anyway). Come back in and serve up what you need. Stick what's left in the fridge, next lunch, pour what you want into a bowl, pop in microwave for 2 mins while you are buttering the bread and selecting a magic cake ...

Oh dear, well send her our love etc ...

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I must be a veggie too.

Reply to
Fredxx

I accidentally looked at the price of those the other day, up to 3 grand for the all-singing, all-dancing models!

Reply to
Andy Burns

So much for saving the planet.

Gadgets like soup makers are for those too lazy to do things properly. So is ?throwing in a stock cube?.

Reply to
Radio Man