diy Pampus grass

Just noticed today after three or so years after planting it the creamy white feathery plumes are starting to grow out of the pampus grass in the front garden....woo hoo

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

no we are not swingers

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get will tame it for a few months)

Reply to
John Rumm

always wanted one I'm going to let it grow as big as possible !...never thought it would sprout plumes as I bought it half dead from a garden centre in Newton Stewart that was closing down....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Once they get going its fair to say they are "hardy" :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the things are.

Reply to
ss

and danced on its grave?

Reply to
John Rumm

I think they thrive on fire. ;-) Joking apart I think it is a recognised way of managing them (if you can do so safely). Evolved to survive pampas fires.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Out here on the -erme- Pampas, the things are regarded as weeds.

Are they still planted out in front gardens as a not-very-secret message between swingers or did that all die out in the eighties?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

we can but hope for offers....tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Never heard that was the message.This house had one, but I had a ride on mower. The mower won

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You do realise that the UK Urban legend says that this grass in your front garden marks you as belonging to a wife swapping or swingers group, do you not? snigger. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes its still a thing, as far as I'm aware, especially since the insecurity of the internet meant people could find those involved far too easily for many peoples liking. Its a pity of course as these plants are quite attractive. Like many plants though, once established they do tended to take over. Somebody told me once it helps if you put a buried metal fence around them, made of something like ally, and about three feet deep. Well I doubt may bother!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Is that one of the calling cards ?.

Leave it another few years and you'll be easking us how to get rid if it. Using it as the core of a bonfire seems to be the easiest solution.

Reply to
Andrew

Plant a bamboo to keep it company :-)

Reply to
Andrew

What does having a Pampas green bathroom say ?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

You haven't changed the bathroom suite since the 70's?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You were trendy in the 1970s? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Talking of which, my white one has not been changed a lot longer than that, but unfortunately in the last couple of years the shiny bath enamel is no longer shiny and suction cups on mats will not stick to it. I'm assuming this is due to the cleaning and limescale each week over the years its been there. I cannot imagine there is any kind of application which can sort this, so at some point, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get at least a new white bath. Its metal though,cannot stand the plastic ones. they feel like sitting in a jelly to me. Of course its now that I realise that all the walls on that side will probably also have to be retileed, since I doubt there are any matching tiles still made to patch up the damage when a different bath is fitted! Sadly I'll have to get a person in nowadays, and goodness knows how we get the bath in and out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

we haven't changed ours, Installed in 1979 - but not in Pampas Green.

Reply to
charles