OT: bottle conditioned beer

M & S have discontinued bottle conditioned beer. The supermarkets offer very little: Proper Job is a nice drink but it's too strong for me. Ideally I want a bottle conditioned bitter that is somewhere between 3.8 and 4.4%. Does anyone know of such a product? I would buy by mail order in quite large quantities.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A little over the 4.4%, but well worth a try, at least it is if it is produced in the same way.

Best drunk in the pub though, a night on these and keep a couple of bottles back to tip the dregs into. I used to get warnings that the pint was "off" or it would make me bad when I consumed the final pint of "dregs" before departing for the night.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

There is a list of 58 of them (though two are cans rather than bottles)

If you click on a bottle you get a summary of what is inside. You can choose whichever seems to best match your taste.

There is a bit of chat about bottle conditioned, but it is some years old, so may no longer be current. You can make up your own mind after you have looked.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

In message , Bill Wright writes

A subject dear to my heart. I sometimes treat myself to a couple of mini casks from Adnams. 16 pints for 30 pounds.

It does mean that both casks need to be consumed within two or three weeks, but they travel well from Suffolk to Aberdeenshire, and are fine after standing to settle.

Adnams also offer kegs which are usually dated at least 6 months, and are OK, but a poor substitute for casks.

I like Southwold bitter at 3.7 per cent.

Reply to
Graeme

An afterthought:

If you fancy a mixed set (average 4.3 according to the website) then this might interest you.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

I was just trying to figure out the connection with diy and digital tv. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I get my Beer from here

Just search for 'Bottle conditioned'

Spud

ISTR that Shepherd Neame did some bottle conditioned versions of Spitfire and Bishops Finger at one point.

Reply to
John Rumm

Both heavily populated by blokes of a certain age perhaps... or perhaps a decent ale is just want you want after a hard day of DIY? Anyway don't knock it - as far as off topic threads go, this one beats all the others.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes they did but sadly no longer. My personal fave is the S&N 1698 which is bottle coditioned, but a little too strong for Bill at 6.5%. Perhaps could try diluting it with some Brewdog Nanny State? hmmm

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Mine is still Worthington White Shield. SWMBO got me some from Ocado!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've not seen that for years. When I lived in London there was a local pub where the landlord could pour it perfectly.

I had thought it had been discontinued because I have never seen it since I moved from London.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Wow I didn't realise it was still around, disappeared from pubs long ago. Not cheap though.

I havn't even seen bottled Guiness in UK pubs for a long time; after I had been drinking for a while, I realised that this was what a good many landlords drank themselves. A pint's worth of flavour with only half the alcohol.

Reply to
newshound

I worked in the bar at university. I could pour it perfectly too! On a number of occasions I ordered it elsewhere and was just handed the bottle and glass.

I hadn't seen it for a while, but SWMBO pointed it out.

Reply to
Bob Eager

1698 is very nice but I always want another then I get a headache.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Should be something to suit here.

This is basically a warehouse, behind a garage, off the A10 in the middle of nowhere...

They are reckoned to have one of the biggest selections in the country.

Spend 60 notes and free 3-day delivery is included.

James

Reply to
James Heaton

I'm sure I bought some adnams ghost ship in aldi for £1.29 a bottle a few weeks ago, they do a range for £1.25 or £1.29 including bish ops finger and spitfire.

Reply to
whisky-dave

whisky-dave wrote in news:fff489ae-493a-4a1f- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

few weeks ago, they do a range for £1.25 or £1.29 including bishops finger and spitfire.

Isn't Pedigree now bottle conditioned?

Reply to
Jim S