Garden electric vacuum

This is driving me potty. I want a garden electric vacuum, but i can only find vacuum/blowers. The problem with these is that they do not have a dedicated vacuum. So when vacuum the blower is still operational so I spend a inordinate amount of time chasing the leaves around the garden. Can some kind person point me to a dedicated garden vacuum please?

Reply to
Broadback

You could simply use a vaccuum cleaner - like a henry

without a bag

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess if there's sucking there's got to be blowing somewhere: where else will the air go?

Reply to
Max Demian

Max Demian wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

+1
Reply to
DerbyBorn

Into a very big balloon?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't understand. I can't see how it can suck and blow at the same time through the one pipe. Although I don't have one, my late mother had a Flymo vacuum/blower (before that she simply used the domestic Hoover on the lawn!). There was an internal flap that was changed over from suck to blow by pulling a string to move the flap. On suck, the leaves were directed into a coarse-woven bag. Is yours something like that? If so, is it properly moving over from one position to the other, or does it stick half way?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Well my petrol blower/vac handled it very well, by blowing into a part of the machine well away from the vacuum area!

Reply to
Broadback

We have 2 oak trees in the garden, and use the rotary mower with the height set high to vacuum the leaves up. Works a treat. Have tried leaf suckers in the past but they always seem to get clogged up and need emptying forever.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I take on board what everyone says,but why is there a switch to move from vacuum to blow, it seems to do nothing!

Reply to
Broadback

Balanced flue?

Although I don't have one, my late mother

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

n my old Flymo there is a 3-position setting at the end of the nozzle - vacuum, blow, and vacuum/blow. In the latter position, there is a thin jet directed forward to loosen leaves and "blow" them into the air a little so they can be sucked by the vacuum into the collection bag (via a shredding "strimmer" just before the collection bag). I assume modern versions can do the same thing.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Not wanting to state the obvious here but do not all vacuums blow the other end, the point is does it have a way to take up the leaves and put them somewhere.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Would that be electrically safe, remember leaves are wet. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Bagpipes, that is the answer quite obviously, Get a set of bagpipes and serenade the neighbours while sucking up the leaves. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Of course many indoor vacuums use a lot of their power in pumping air through filters to stop the muck coming straight through and out the back. I suppose this approach could be done for gardens, but the dampness of the debris that might get through could easily, and very quickly clog up the filters. The answer maybe is a chimney type appendage to make the blowing air come up very high in the are away from the leaves. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

The presenter on todays final 2018 program at 'the Beechgrove' (*) was testing an electric leaf blower/vacuum.

It seemed pretty useless at sucking, but he admitted the leaves were wet.

Available on the iPlayer.

(*) Scottish BBC gardening program.

Reply to
Andrew