Adjustable bed

Is it possible to get adjustable frames to fit on an existing base? SWMBO wants to be able to sit up more easily in bed. We want to keep our existing base as I made it myself and it has four very large storage drawers, much larger that what I see on commercial bases.

Reply to
Ramsman

shouldnt be impossible to make or adapt

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it is the electrically operated type you need then there will have to be room for the motors and rams so some modifications or increased height might be inevitable.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It happens that Ramsman formulated :

Scrap chairs and sofas with the electric elevating foot/leg rest mechanisms would be a really good starting point. They use a motor, driving a screw thread to operate the lift. Add in a metal framework and some strong ply.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As others have said, it should be possible to make an adjustable frame to fit any bed and if motorised you would need to consider space for the mechanism. I imagine a frame similar to a traditional folding deck-chair if manually operated. If you don't want to make it yourself I am sure a local woodworker would. Do you have a Men's Shed nearby?

You don't say how mobile and supple you and your wife are - and there's no reason why you should - but I've solved a similar problem for myself with reflux pillows which I bought on eBay. 30,60,90 triangular pillow full of lightweight but firm foam. 30deg is comfortable for combating acid reflux and 60 is comfortable for sitting up in bed but it does involve picking it up and turning it round which is why I mentioned mobility. Google reflux pillow and at the top of the first page you'll see bed wedges, mattress tilters and wedge-shaped pillows - any of which might hold a solution for you

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It's very easy to make one. The minimum implementation is a piece of ply or OSB, hinged. One at head end, one at foot end if wished. Just place a suitably sized object under it to give your chosen lift.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thank you all for the prompt replies.

I hadn't thought it through, forgetting that the actuating mechanism would take up space and interfere with the drawers. As for adding objects to prop up the end(s) of the mattress, there's not much room to put them when they're not on the bed.

Reply to
Ramsman

Think scissor jack

e.g.

You would be surprised how little motor power is needed to actuate a screw type mechanaism.

And its very low profile when retracted.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe something like this?

FMurtz

My immediate thought was to fit one of those vehicle jacking airbags (as used by firemen etc) under a hinged sheet of plywood.

Reply to
newshound