Adjustable Feet

I am building a model railway layout in the loft and need some adjustable feet to go on the supporting legs.I have seen round rubber feet, about 1.5 in dia on a threaded leg that screw into a steel threaded insert fitted into the supporting leg. I was told B&Q sell them but when I enquired they looked at me as though I was an idiot. A tool shop I use had the feet but no inserts to match the thread. I couldn't find anything in screwfix. Does anybody have any ideas for a supplier, a national chain or in SW Herts?

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rayner

Would kitchen unit legs be too long ?? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

B&Q sell captive nuts in most of the common metric sizes - they have prongs to retain them in wood. So if you can get the adjustable feet, and the thread is correct, you simply drill a clearance hole for the thread up the middle of the leg and hammer them in place. You might have to use some form of clamp round the leg to stop splitting, though, given you're going in the end grain.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

They would do the job but would not be the best solution. I have actually seen the things I need on an exhibition layout but the operators couldn't remember where they bought them but thought it was B&Q. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rayner

Sound s abit like the things I recovered when I broke up an old suite

-They wre pronged inserts that were hammered in to the frame and had a threaded centre and a bolt was crewed in to it to join the other part of the suite -Only difference was they didnt have the rubber feet.How many would you need in case I have them still ? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Would something like this be what you want? Look down to product numbers 12749 and 1422.

you just want some feet with a 6mm or 8mm stud. These should be available at most diy stores, most probably a little hardware store will be more likely.

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

You might like to check Maplins:

codes JU48C and YL23A are handwheels which might do the trick.

PoP

PoP

I think you'll find what you want at

Look under Glides......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hafele sell feet that are adjustable from inside the carcase. Basically a threaded rod with one end slotted for a screwdriver and the other with a foot on it. They are fed through a 'T' nut and accessed via a hole in the unit. Plastic caps are available to cover this acess hole.

They are most useful when the plinth can not be removed.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann