[ot] bosch induction hobs

Hi,

I am looking to buy an induction hob. I didn't know where to start looking but knew that bosch is often recommended as a good make here, much preferred over hotpoint, zanussi, and electrolux ;)

The bosch web site is not much help. It only seems to show two 600mm hobs and does not go into any great detail about them. However, I downloaded their installation guide, which revealed many more 600mm models (why aren't these on the web site?).

The curious thing is that they seem to have crippled some models so that they can be connected by a 13A plug. The ones installed with fixed wiring are rated at about 7kW but there is a crippled model that is suitable for use with a 13A socket and another model where you can preset it to use up to 13A or 20A. The web site does not explain this and I almost bought a crippled model. I think the web site talks about the four "saucepan positions" (what do you call the areas on an induction hob; if it were gas or electric they would be hotplates or jets or burners or some such).

I read the 2x1.8kW and 2x1.4kW on the web site and assumed that the hob is rated at 1.8+1.8+1.4+1.4=6.4kW whereas if the current is limited to 13A, the reality must be that its maximum power is 3kW. Perhaps taking diversity into account as all will not be drawing full current at the same time you can squeeze a bit more out of it, but it does seem misleading (imho) not to make that clearer.

I am particularly puzzled by the 20A model: why limit it to 20A, why stop at 20A, why not let it "use" the full 7kW? The only reason I can think of is to use the existing wiring but if you are going to the trouble of having a new, expensive hob, why not do the job properly?

I would feel cheated if I bought a 7kW hob and found it was limited to

4kW. Do other makes have similar "features"?

Any suggestions on which make/model to buy? I don't have a wok.

TIA

Reply to
Fred

We've got one of these

which is not a current model - but there should be a current equivalent.

As I'm sure you know, Neff is from the same stable as Bosch.

Ours is rated at 7.2kW, and is connected to a dedicated 32A supply. The appliance itself has two fairly hefty flexible cables coming from it - one for each pair of hotplates. These have to be connected together where they join to the 4 or 6mm (can't remember which) supply cable.

All 4 hotplates can be operated at setting 9 (max) *but* there is also a boost function for super-fast heating. Only one hotplate of a pair can use this at any given time - the other one has to be turned off.

Reply to
Roger Mills

My Bosch Induction hob bought nearly 10 years ago is similar to the PIE611T14E (i.e. same size rings')

My one just had one power cable. The above one may have two for connecting to two phases of a three phase supply.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Wouldn't a "cooker point" be wired in 6 mm^2 so have a rating fo 40A?

It does seem rather strange. I wouldn't like to rely on diversity or not having all the rings on flat out on a 13A plug top (3 kW BTW). If it's plugged into the kitchen ring and you have a couple of rings on (3 kW), the kettle (3 kW), it's breakfast time, so the toaster as well (1 kW) = 7 kW, oh dear what about anything else on that ring...

I wonder if it's down to how much cooling the electronics require or simply how much power they can handle?

Yes, but I'm not sure how much effect it would have on cooking at least on the 20A limit, the 13 A plugin ones and can envisage havinga noticeable limit. The "split load" hard wired type at least gives you some flexibilty across the two halves rather than

I'll be looking for an induction hob at some point and your post is a useful heads up, thanks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks. I think that may be the one I was looking at buying; the model number certainly ended in a 4. It's the ones that end in a 6 that are the problem:

Is limited to 4.6kW and I think there is a model not listed on the Bosch web site which ends in 66 and that is by 13 Amp plug connection only, so its rating is even lower.

Reply to
Fred

No, I didn't know that, thank you. I'll have to look at Neff as well then.

That's good to hear. We have 6mm^2 cable and I was worried it might have to be ripped out for 10mm^2.

Reply to
Fred