**************

From: michael adams Subject: Re: OT: Blood Tests Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 09:50 Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

An endless "supply" ? Supplying what and to whom exactly ?

Usually a person who supplies something, is fulfilling a need of some kind.

So which particular need is this "endless supply" of addicts satisfying, and among whom ?

************

You claimed those involved in addiction treatment have a vested interest in claiming there were more addicts than there are. Presumably to keep themselves in work or whatever.

My reply was that there are far more addicts than there are places for them in all the treatment centres available, and by a vast margin. So an endless supply in essence.

That you choose to have your own odd idea what supply means is neither here nor there. If you need to find out an accepted definition, use a dictonary. Your own simply won't do. Unless you are Wodney, of course.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When microwave ovens went on sale, I remember several relatives saying they would buy one when they could afford it. However several years earlier before anyone had heard of microwave ovens I don't remember anyone saying 'that bloke who invented radar, why can't he use it for something useful, liking re-heating something' ?.

People bought acorn atom kits, and dragon 32s, commodore pets without really having any use for them, which is what normally drives demand.

Reply to
Andrew

By accusing Leon Brittan without any evidence I suspect it is you who don't know what you are talking about. Are you the sort of person who trashed a paediatricians house a few years ago (not knowing the difference between a child doctor whose specialty is kiddies health, and a perv) ?.

There have been numerous examples of celebrities and their offspring ending up with a substance habit, and yet they had decent upbringings, and never went short of anything.

The people you are thinking of got in with a bad crowd who introduced them to drugs.

Reply to
Andrew

Only a total wanker like you would take a prison study as being representative of the public at large.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And here we have a conspicuous display of outstanding, unashamed ignorance as you're ever likely to see on Usenet, gentle reader.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

The potential demand in this case was for a small sized cooker or oven which ideally could stand on a worktop; which could heat food quickly and at an affordable price. The actual technology is irrelevant. The first product to become available which met those speccs would always have found a ready market.

Its irrelevant what they were used for. The fact that people were buying them, and that you can name them after all these years is sufficient proof of a demand. Many products and models were/are first taken up by early adopters while those that weren't will have sunk without trace. No users clubs, no magazines, nothing at all. There was simply no demand.

  • Much the same could be said for around 80% of the features on much popular software, and many DSLR cameras as they're used by a majority of buyers.

michael adams

michael adams

Or a dictionary compiler

Oxford Dictionaries

Supply

verb Make (something needed or wanted) available to someone; provide:

Provide with something needed or wanted:

Be adequate to satisfy (a requirement or demand):

noun A stock or amount of something supplied or available for use:

Dictionary.com

Supply

Verb to furnish or provide (a person, establishment, place, etc.) with what is lacking or requisite: to supply someone clothing; to supply a community with electricity.

to furnish or provide (something wanting or requisite): to supply electricity to a community.

Noun

something that is supplied:

a quantity of something on hand or available, as for use; a stock or store:

dictionary.com

Cambridge Dictionaries Online

supply

verb: to provide something that is wanted or needed, often in large quantities and over a long period of time:

noun: an amount of something that is ?available for use:

So you've got Oxford and Cambridge there along with Dictionary.com. It seems the University of Tooting Dictionary hasn't yet been put online.

"There is an endless supply of addicts out there." Dave Plowman

To repeat - to "provide something that is wanted or needed, often in large quantities"

michael adams

michael adams

Funny you should suggest that.

As here's one I made earlier -

Good old copy and paste comes up trumps again !

[...]

At this point I must admit I'm somewhat pained that you'd forced me to post these definitions. I was hoping you'd first check for yourself, realise your mistake and graciously admit that you were wrong.

Instead of which you've left me no alternative but to show up all your pathetic wriggling, for the pointless charade it actually is.

michael adams

michael adams

Let's just look at a basic version.

Collins GEM English Dictionary

supply v. -plying, -plied. provide with something required; make available.

'Make available' being the salient point.

I really can't understand where you're coming from.

You have a water gas and electricity supply to your house. I assume.

Just because they are there doesn't make any difference to the use of them. You use as little or as much as you need. But in effect could reasonably be described as endless except to a pedant. Since absolutely nothing is endless in terms of the universe.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've quoted the dictionary definition of the verb. 'to supply'

But you might note I used the noun. Assuming you know the difference?

From your own quote

noun A stock or amount of something supplied or available for use:

Think you're already regretting that statement if reading it again now...

Some just carry on digging long after they've hit rock bottom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your fortitude is remarkable indeed. Sadly, you can quote respected authorities like Chambers and the OED until doomsday, but you will find Plowman and one or two others hereabouts totally impervious to reason. You'd get better results coaching a chimpanzee in integral calculus.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

You know ***FUCK ALL*** Plowperson. You are not in touch with reality, that much is clear. As a Leftie busybody who thinks he knows better than everyone else, it's hardly surprising the only employer you could find to hire your worthless arse was the BBC - another bunch of useless, holier- than-thou Lefties and strangers to reality. HTH.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

You are making yourself sound like someone who doesn't know the difference between a noun and verb.

Do you have an issue that someone, who is perhaps brighter than you, leans to the left?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Indeed.

So this "endless supply of addicts" is being supplied or made available for the use of whom exactly ?

Any more definitions you want to avoid answering questions about ?

Why not just answer the question ?

So this "endless supply of addicts" is being supplied or made available for the use of whom exactly ?

Why not just answer the question ?

So this "endless supply of addicts" is being made available for the use of who exactly ?

Good old copy and paste comes up trumps agin.

michael adams

michael adams

I think you'll find "provide with something required" comes first.

So required by whom ?

So much so that you accidentally and totally by mistake left out the first part of the only definition you quoted.

And no link I notice. So presumably you've selected the most favourable definition. The one which neverthless kicked off with "provide with something required"

So who is this endless supply of addicts required by ?

michael adams

michael adams

Thanks for quoting that, Fred. It gave me a good laugh. He's one of the very few I've got killfiled. Mainly because he's pretty well the most stupid person on here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Michael, you've been proved wrong by your own definition.

I'd say you'd be best to just admit defeat and drop it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Going back to earlier posts in desperation?

You have provided a dictionary definition. So fair to assume you think it right.

But sadly it blew you out of the water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)