OT: best satellite images

I just noticed that Google Maps is now using older images than they used to - the one of our house is at least 4, possible 6 years old... It used to have a photo that was only 3 years old or so until recently.

I seem to remember a (free) website that used much newer images, but cannot remember which one...

Any pointers will be much appreciated.

TIA.

Reply to
JoeJoe

In message , JoeJoe writes

Some maybe, ours seems to be a newer one, the previous one seemed fairly old (before our time here anyway)

Reply to
chris French

Not necessarily newer, but sometimes different - the MS version which used to be local.live.com (now

John Rumm

my area - our extension is finished (completed 3 years ago), but the fence around it is not there yet (done 2 years ago).

Reply to
JoeJoe

have a red car in the drive - which makes the date of the photo ... crikey! earlier than Mar 2002.

Reply to
pete

Above coment was referring to Aerial image, not the satelite one which is identical to the Google Maps one.

Reply to
JoeJoe

The image of my area on

used to be newer than the Google one but Google have now caught up...

Reply to
Peter Watson

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D\

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D/

Thanks for the URL - it gave me a much sought after view of an established hedge which had been ripped out by a local farmer and he was denying it had ever existed when I complained to our trees and landscape officer.

Reply to
cynic

Multimap.com and 192.com both have aerial images.

For our area 192.com has by far the best quality, the oldest and worst is used by Multimap, viaMichelin and Microsoft Live Maps aka Bing Maps.

As for newest - it's hard to tell between 192.com and google.com.

Reply to
OG

newer, higher resolution images. And in my opinion the 'bird's eye' view is oblique and the original images are 'bird's eye'.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Have you clicked on the 'clock' at the top of the image? This shows 'historical' images. If you have (accidentally) clicked on it previously, try clicking again to revert to the latest.

Reply to
<me9

IIRC the aerial images were licensed from the GetMapping project - which ought to be a bit newer. Alas they don't seem to have full coverage with the "birds eye" images.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which is curious - from one aspect we can see our Air-Con mounted to the side of the house, from another angle it's been repositioned at ground level. So I'm guessing it's pretty random how old each frame is

Reply to
Mike Dodd

In message , Peter Johnson writes

The bird's eye (oblique) view of our house is older than the aerial photo.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Sorry - don't understand what you mean by "clock"...

Reply to
JoeJoe

there's an icon above the picture in google earth about an inch from the left that looks like an analogue clock face. This toggles 'historic images' between the latest and a previous version.

Reply to
<me9

Goggle Maps =/= Google Earth.

Reply to