New plant images

Just a quick message to note that my site now includes nearly 1300 plant images, including many that could be described as rare and unusual. All pictures have informative captions.

Geoff Bryant

Geoff Bryant

Quickly found a few errors on your website. Could find many more if I had the time.

Correct name is Sansevieria trifasciata 'Silver Queen' not 'Silver Sheen'.

Sansevieria parva in flower in the front of picture with Sansevieria trifasciata 'Bantel's Sensation' in back. Sansevieria parva is native to Kenya and is a free flowering species. Flowering the species is not a rare occurance at all.

Your plant as Sans.trifasciata 'Futura' is actually Sans.trifasciata 'Robusta'. There is no such species named Sans.gigantea.

Your Opuntia longispina var.flavidispina is actually Euphorbia similiramea.

Your Opuntia subulata is actually a North American "Cholla", probably Cylindropuntia whipplei.

Kalanchoe blossfeldiana is not a hybrid. The florist Kalanchoes are complex hybrids involving several species not just K.blossfeldiana and should not be attributed to that species.

Its Aeonium arboreum 'Zwartkop', a cultivar of Dutch origin, the German spelling 'Schwartzkopf' is incorrect and not valid.

Thats Crassula coccinea not Crassula perfoliata var. falcata and it blooms in the winter not summer.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Ah, a succulent and cacti expert.

I appreciate the information, as my area of expertise is really rhododendrons. However, none of the captions on my site is put there without some research and most of the photographs were taken at reputable botanic gardens, whose labelling and classification I usually trust. Consequently, I have to ask, can you site any references, especially for the Opuntia subulata.

Geoff Bryant

similiramea.

Reply to
Geoff Bryant

Sure, I can cite several references.

Sorry to say but most otherwise reputable botanical gardens fall very short when it comes to succulent plants and their correct identification. Someone mistaking a Euphorbia for an Opuntia is almost inexcusably inept for an otherwise expert horticulturist.

For the Sansevieria trifasciata cultivars:

Chahinian, B.J. (1986) THE SANSEVIERIA TRIFASCIATA VARIETIES. Trans Terra Publishing. Reseda, California.

For the current classification of the Opuntioid Cactaceae:

Hunt, D. & Taylor, N. (eds.) (2002) STUDIES IN THE OPUNTIOIDEAE (CACTACEAE). Succulent Plant Research - Volume 6

Opuntia subulata is now correctly named Austrocylindropuntia subulata but the plant often misidentified as it is actually Austrocylindropuntia exaltata, an apparent natural hybrid between A.subulata and A.cylindrica. Austrocylindropuntia are easily distinguished from Cylindropuntia by the spines lacking a papery sheath and all the branches being of inderteminate growth (branching primarily from the base) not with an indeterminate main axis and determinate branches.

Here is a picture of Austrocylindropuntia exaltata.

is a picture of genuine Austrocylindropuntia subulata for comparison. Note the very long leaves.

more info refer to the files in
the complex Kalanchoe hybrids still do not have a species epithet that can be attributed to them. They should be referred to by their cultivar names instead but those are often very difficult to track down and verify.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-