Soil images at nanoscale.

At this URL:

is a fascinating article about soil viewed as never seen before

-- at nanoscale!

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

Thanks for the info. Two interesting well written articles about soil and trees are here: Thought you might enjoy them. They are written by a man who was a foremost authority on trees world wide. Or shall I say viewed by many, mostly those who looked through his microscope with him. Many refused.

It would be nice if they went to old growth forest and obtained optimal fertility levels for trees (species specific).

A Touch of Chemistry

in the Rhizosphere
John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Tree Biologist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

Reply to
symplastless

Doesn't say what they saw, except it was with x-rays and it was way cool:-(

Reply to
Billy

That was interesting but another page, about how tree ferns can soak up arsenic from contaminated land, was too. I was amused by the statement:

" ... ferns clean up contaminated soil by a process called phytoremediation. A contaminant -- like arsenic -- is absorbed through the plant's roots. The arsenic then moves up to the leaves where it's stored. The leaves can then be cut off. "

And then what? How do you dispose safely of the leaves??

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, I saw that one, but wasn't sure if it would be of interest. After all, how many of us gardeners have arsenic-y land?

But now that the question has been raised, how/why DOES land become contaminated with arsenic? Any chemists around who might know whether it is a by-product of some industrial or milit ary process?

Inquiring minds...

Aspasia

Reply to
Persephone

20 incidents of groundwater arsenic contamination have been reported from all over the world. [2] Of these, four major incidents were in Asia, including locations in Thailand, Taiwan, and Mainland China.[3] [4] South American countries like Argentina and Chile have also been affected. There are also many locations in the United States where the groundwater contains arsenic concentrations in excess of the new Environmental Protection Agency standard of 10 parts per billion.

Arsenic is a carcinogen which causes many cancers including skin, lung, and bladder as well as cardiovascular disease.

Reply to
Billy

Where the hell is Arsenic coming from?

Reply to
Omelet

Mother Nature. Arsenic comes from the natural world. Arsenic is like copper, iron, boron. It just is. Sometimes, Mother Nature can be a bitch;-)

Reply to
Billy

And I'd still like to know how the fern leaves can be disposed of safely :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So would the EPA. At present, a clay lined pit seems to be the only answer. Sequestering arsenic with iron can remove/reduce arsenic from drinking water but the arsenic becomes mobile again with time:-(

Reply to
Billy

I see. :-)

Reply to