OT: Barclay's App.

Have a Samsung phone, and the only way (IIRC) to make contact less payments with that - if you bank with Barclays - is with the Barclays App. Which worked just fine until the other day.

Paid for some groceries, but shortly afterwards, it wouldn't work when buying petrol. Or later the same day at another store.

Looking at the app at home it said there was a problem, and to use the link on it to phone their help line. Which I did, with no result. tried again later, and the very helpful chap could see there was a problem, but couldn't resolve it.

Tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling. Same problem.

Then installed the Barclaycard app. Which apart from the name and icon appeared to be identical. Set it up using exactly the same data and passwords etc, and that does work for contact less. But oddly would only allow me to select my debit card (same as the other app) and not my Barclaycard. And configured exactly the same as my Barclays App which is still showing the problem.

It's a very strange world.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not really. Good old "lock in" ....

I suspect if you cleared the cached data for the Barclays app it would work. Was thinking of getting a Barclay Card for travel but if it won't work with google pay I will pass..

Reply to
David Wade

I've got the Barclaycard App on my Android phone & tried the payment option but was then informed that I can only use it for online purchases and not for use in shops, etc, contactless or otherwise. So I binned the payment option and use Gpay instead.

Reply to
John Miller

Barclaycunts have the worst IT in the Western world. Nothing works and they don't give a f*ck.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To be fair they haven't suffered an HSBC/RBS type outage that lasted a week. (Or was it HBOS ?)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

wasn't rbs anywat

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Who informed you? In any case it did work here, and I'm talking contact less. Just tap the phone on the terminal rather than your card. Then stopped working.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'd guess Turnip has been refused an overdraft by them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Just to add I see his guru Nige is now offering financial services. Wonder if to the same standard as his maths about leaving the EU?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Always works for me. Never had a complaint in 50 years of banking with them. Some people (like 'activists') just spend all their time looking for something, anything, to be 'offended' by.

Reply to
Andrew

There is always the failsafe cash option

Reply to
Andrew

Mea culpa. Brain fog. It was the other way around now that I think about it. I could use contactless, which worked on the couple of occasions that I tried it but couldn't use it for on-line payments (like trying to order with the Wetherspoons App). This and the fact that it required a log-in every day, or sometimes multiple times in a day, was what made me ditch it. Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you. I find the App annoying at the best of times. Despite using a fingerprint log-in it requires a PIN just about every other day as an additional "security" measure. How is a PIN more secure than a fingerprint? All other fingerprint Apps don't require this additional "security".

Reply to
John Miller

first rule of banking. 'The bank is not your friend'

Reply to
fred

Yes despite their protestations to be inclusive Barclays have been caught out with inaccessible apps more than once for the blind. I'd suggest they need more testing by real people on real phones, not just by those developing them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I looked at the app and it wanted to be the default app for payments, which I didn't want. This is more Barclays "lock in" so that its hard to use other payment methods. I have my Sainsbury's card set as the default so I get nectar points...

Nope, there are quit a few bars now where Cash is not accepted.

shortened

and remember that "legal tender" has a very narrow meaning, and in general any vendor of goods and services is free to choose the payment methods they accept, and you are free to choose not to trade with them if they don't accept your preferred method....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

My phone insists on me entering its code too every now and then. Fingerprint alone not being good enough either.

I don't use the phone for banking and so on. Far prefer the decent screen and keyboard on my laptop. My fingers don't seem to be touch screen compatible. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'd say it rather obvious a Barclay's app is going to want you to use their cards.

I did look at options, but couldn't find one that would work with my android phone and Barclays. I don't have lots of credit cards for different things. So have to use my nectar card separately on the odd occasion I use Sainsbury. Tesco is the convenient supermarket here.

However, if you have to select the card you want to use on your phone first, you might as well just use the card itself?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News