E10 and Garden Machines

Just read Mountfields analysis of the problem. Their conclusion is E10 should not be a problem if you don't allow the fuel to sit in the tank for more than 30 days without topping up with fresh fuel. If you can't do this they say you should either drain the system by letting the engine run until it stops itself, use Aspen or use a fual stabilizer additive. I've looked around and found lots of varieties of stabilizer but the cheapest seems to be by Briggs and Stratton. Anyone any experience of using stabilizers? Does this also mean that a petrol car shouldn't sit for more than 30 days with old fuel in the tank?

Reply to
Lawrence

or just run your tools on super unleaded since that is staying E5...

Reply to
John Rumm

It's not immediately obvious to me why, if E10 might attack your fuel lines or soldered floats, that E5 would be OK.

Reply to
newshound

Not many garages round here stock super u/l, Apparently it's not the ethanol that attacks things, it's the water that the ethanol absorbs, contributing to gel formation.

Reply to
Lawrence

If you buy Esso Synergy 99 octane in many parts of the country it does not have any ethanol even though the pump handle is marked E5

Andrew

Shell Superunleaed is zero ethanol

Fuel is routinely hanging around more than 30 days without issue, the military has huge fuel stores, they don't use stabilizer and don't bin it at 30 days old.

Reply to
rick

Small fuel tank partially open to the atmosphere will likely be a bit more vulnerable than a large sealed tank of it... but yup its probably being over egged a bit.

Reply to
John Rumm

For the last cut of the year I had about half a tank of the old 'cheaper' petrol and topped it up with Super*. During about 50 mins. cutting the mower seemed to be better at handling changing load - more responsive as the load increase.

*Not sure about proportions as I don't know the volume of the tank or where half would be. Honda Izzy.
Reply to
PeterC

Military is all diesel now. Not sure though if that is biodiesel. If it

*is* then they will have a process for checking it for biological growth (associated with water contamination).
Reply to
newshound

Quite. But then those that write these scare stories in the meja rarely know an open ender from a ring spanner. Rely on handouts from vested interests.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Why would that attack the flexible fuel hoses - made from a sort of rubber?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Until about 18 months ago I always ran my mower on "ordinary" petrol. Then, one day, I had a brain fog and purchased some shell v-power. The mower is easier to start and runs very well.

I've always run my Skoda Yeti diesel on V-Power (apart from about 5 occasions when I've had to buy something else). It's now 8 years old and at the last MOT had exhaust reading well below what's a problem (and, yes, it's had the VW cheat mod done).

Reply to
Graham Harrison

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Graham Harrison snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

Did you find an impact on fuel consumption after the mod? I am currently using a VW Passat, (refugee from the London ultra low emission zone) unmodified and am very impressed with the mpg for such a large vehicle.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not everywhere though. See their website for those parts of the country where it does have 5% ethanol. The South East seems to be ethanol-free

Reply to
Andrew

Sorry, that relates to Esso 99 octane

Reply to
Andrew

I don't keep detailed records but I don't recall suddenly having to fork out more money.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Is this due to the different evaporation rates of the constituents? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa