OT: Any printer recommendations?

Buy two. I now use an HP1320 for B&W duplex (about £50 on eBay; reasonably cheap toner) and a Samsung CLP680 for colour (also does mono and duplex but the toner is more expensive than the HP). The Samsung was a couple of hundred pounds, but you could use a cheap inkjet for colour prints if you don't need many of them.

Reply to
unknown

Except, with little use, every time you come to use it you'll spend

1/2 an hour and 1/2 a tank of ink trying to get the thing clean/unblocked on all the nozzles at the same time... BTDTGTTS.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As an aside, do you plan to carry on with XP past its support cutoff?

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes! [Now tell me why I shouldn't!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com escribió:

Or a laminator. Laminating really brings out the colours

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Roger Mills escribió:

[XP support beyond April 2014 cutoff]

Because as M$ issues updates/patches to fix vulnerabilities in Win 7 up, those will be analysed by the black hats to see if the equivalent compromise exists in XP, and if so, you can bet your boots an exploit will be produced.

The situation will worsen over time as more and more updates are issued to fix various vulns.

I'm still running XP but will reluctantly move to 7 when support ends.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yup, what he said sadly...

This is a situation that has not really existed before. The last time MS abandoned support for a major OS was with Win2K, but at the time it only had a fractional percentage of users left - so while zero day exploits were created, their impact was very small. With XP there are still a third of windows users using it, so its going to be a different situation. Couple this with the fact that many of those numbers are large corporate users, the value of the target increases.

(and many corporates have not even started moving yet - and so they are already too late)

Reply to
John Rumm

Just a suggestion, which works well for me, but depends on your usage pattern.

Get an all-in-one inkjet for colour work (I have been very happy with my now-elderly Canon). Pick up a cheap B&W laser (Samsung are often available remarkably cheaply, indeed I changed model when it was about the same price as a (full) toner cartridge.)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Also of interest here.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK so how does one avoid/minimise exposure?

Will Norton still do the job?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

equivalent

Simples, don't have an XP machine connected to the 'net.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's better than nothing but they won't support XP for long (as they won't have upstream support). Also, it won't protect against all attacks. A zero day against the network stack for example may well exploit the machine before norton gets a chance.

There are all sorts of rumours of exploits being held back until after the end of life date as hackers know that if they release now MS will fix it.

No idea how true this really is (no one *really* knows) but it is plausible.

China has a massive issue with this - huge amounts of XP machines. Rest of the work isn't great though... could get really messy :-/

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

You might wish you'd done so years ago, Win8 OTOH ...

It's not Norton's job even now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

+1
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Andy Burns writes

I run Win7 in a VM on a Linux host at work (what I'm typing on now). Windows in a window, where it belongs :-)

The install of XP I have at home is tweaked just how I like it, is fast and stable (uptimes of weeks, sometimes months) and does everything I want. But I have a Win7 DVD ready and waiting to go next April. Bollocks to Win8, tried it and hated it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That's true with Epson (and maybe others) but not true with HP in my experience

Reply to
unknown

The easy answer for a home user, without too much old software baggage - stick Win 7 on it. If you must still maintain XP, then do so in a virtual machine that does not have net access.

as much as it ever could... by definition a true zero day vuln would walk past it.

But in general AV software is about the best hope of keeping XP safe at the mo. How well it will cope remains to be seen.

(it will be interesting to see if a market starts to form for official MS patches. While we talk of XP support ending, its not actually ending totally - large corporations still have the (expensive) option of paid for support, that will keep the patches flowing for a little while longer - I can see there becoming a secondary market for these (and a whole world of secondary malware / trojans piggy backing on the back of it!)

Reply to
John Rumm

All good publicity for the Chromebook?

Reply to
stuart noble

You have nothing to lose giving the print head a wash with isopropanol and water to see if it will free up the colour outputs.

It is worth waiting for one of the magazines to review some and then try to decide what really matters to you. They generally get you on the consumable inks so it is worth looking at ones with decent quality available third party inks unless your primary requirement is for photography. I primarily use a Dell 1320Cn colour laser printer which has a very nice (if hard to assemble) print engine in it.

I use third party toner cartridges in it that are actually cheaper than the refill powder at well under £20 each (OEM are >£80). It manages almost photoreal output onto the right high grade heavy paper and will print on material that is close to being card at ~220gsm.

Some remaindered ones will not work with Win8 (or more accurately the makers can't be arsed to port their drivers to the new platform). They have no incentive since then you are forced to buy new hardware!

The Canon Pixmas all in one are not bad for a home office at lowish throughput (and handy as a photocopier for small volumes). Be aware that less features doesn't necessarily mean cheaper these days.

I have one but find its obsessive head cleaning messages about please switch me off properly next time mildly annoying after power cuts!

You may find the user reviews of kit on Amazon or on trustedreviews more helpful in spotting any real lemons or goats. Most inkjets tend to waste a fair bit of ink getting started. Beware of very cheap ink cartridges ruining printers too but they are worth considering.

Automatic duplex printing tends to be expensive and will rule out almost all cheap printers at a stroke. I have a Samsung mono laser that is full duplex for routine work (available for about £100).

Reply to
Martin Brown

But they do check sites for malicious burden? My knowledge does not extend to direct attacks...

Reply to
Tim Lamb