OT: any idea what "travel to essential work" means?

Bugger. Can I take back the 30 L I bought on Friday and buy some new ones?

Reply to
Robin

it's not YOUR council's idea to charge for garden waste. It came from the top.

Reply to
charles

I'd have to go some way to find the cheapest. You don't get bargain price petrol in central London.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Evidence please (bearing in mind waste is a devolved matter and there are charges in some LAs in England, Scotland & Wales)?

Reply to
Robin

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Called at Sainsburys to go. Very explicit notices on the pumps. Use the gloves provided and let us know if they've run out and we will immediately replace them. I was wearing my own, I always do now when contacting anything outside the house which others may have touched.

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Tricky Dicky snipped-for-privacy@sky.com writes

Well the tube service has been considerably reduce. Is anyone surprised that tfl has 30% of staff off "self-isolating"? Your comment perhaps is relevant in major urban areas but round here most drive to work as there are no suitable buses. Only the elderly and poor use the buses.

Reply to
bert

Wasn't helped by an initial tweet put out by "the government" which also misinterpreted it and had to be rapidly replaced.

Reply to
bert

But that doesn't stop thousands simultaneously deciding to got to Snowdonia* because after months of rain the sun suddenly shone.

  • Or Brecon beacons or Lake District or seaside resorts.
Reply to
bert

+43.39
Reply to
bert

Just depends on staff turning up for work. Garden waste lowest priority. This is where the furlough 80% may be set too high. Big incentive not to turn in, risk infection and get same net pay.

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

Really? Our council does not charge.

Reply to
bert

Norman Tebbitt said it was only life's failures used buses

Reply to
charles

Logical thinking has been suspended for the duration of the current Covid 19 crisis. It was announced in one of the Govt Press Releases along with stuff about storing bodies in factories.

michael adams

michael adams

Councils are just trying to get as much money as they can and garden waste is not something that they are obliged to dispose of, so many have added extra charges simply because they can. Our council tried, but many people decided not to sign up for it and to take the waste to the tip themselves. The council therefore made less money than they expected and the charge has now been dropped.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I thought that it was Margaret Thatcher saying that anyone who still used buses by the age of 30 was a failure?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It would be difficult to define but it seems transport workers are need for a lot of NHS staff to get to work, not everyone has a car (which is probably one reason why petrol stations are open) or can walk to where they work. My brother has just had roofers complete the work they started on tuesday. I assumed they kept 2 metres from the general public that might have been walking past on the pavement.

Reply to
whisky-dave

was this to make sure your brain transplant went OK ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I hope that would include condoms, I think you can get them free as well as needles this was especially true during the AIDs crisis.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Councils don't get the 80% furlough grants.

You can assume that almost all council staff will be on full pay when self-isolating, social-distancing, working-from-home or whatever.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'd guess he was one of those who said he could easily live on dole money too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News