OT Anti virus sorftware

No, I turn all the flashing shit off, as I said above. Can't you read? Once I've done that, Win7 is then not too unpleasant to use. Even macOS is succumbing to this recent habit of fixing what isn't broken, with the revolting Dark Mode. And everyone is trying to use these minimalist icons that could mean anything at all.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Just face it. You're getting old and can't or rather couldn't be arsed to keep up with the changes. Happens to us all...

Reply to
Richard

Of course he can't! That's why everyone calls him 'Dennis the Dunce.'

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

win XP and win 7 changed during their life. probably as much as win 10.

I haven't found any stuff that won't run on win 10 that did on win 7 that is worth running. YMMV.

Linx distros tend to change frequently too and only the LTE ones don't do so about once a year or more frequently.

Reply to
dennis

Of course I can but there isn't any other stuff like you described in win10 so I assume you did it wrong or are making it up.

Reply to
dennis

That from someone that contributes zero to DIY. An actual waste of oxygen.

Reply to
dennis

are you asking to go in my killfile?

I take exception to that

I wasn't logging on.

I was running the system update "program"

tim

Reply to
tim...

These Linux people are as bad as the greenies.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I use Bullguard and it seems to work perfectly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

That's what they all claim, but I wish I had some proof of results.

Reply to
Dave W

(laughs)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

In message <7awNE.118221$ snipped-for-privacy@usenetxs.com, "dennis@home" snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

The big difference with W10 is that suddenly one can be faced with a major update that moves things around and makes biggish changes.

With XP and W7, major changes occurred in service packs. That way was much more manageable.

I did embrace W10 at first, and ran a test machine as an Insider for quite a while.

I've stopped checking because I have things set up as I want, but a couple of Firewire audio interfaces here, including an automated, flying faders, mixer/interface, certainly stopped working on a check with W10. As I've said, the main audio machines have remained on XP and Vista. I've not even bothered moving the latter machine to W7 because it works fine as it is, and I'm doing much less now even as a hobby.

I repeat that I want an Operating System, not a "Service", whatever that may be.

Reply to
Bill

Dennis the Dunce strikes again.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Exactly. Which asks for a password.

So patently you were NOT doing what you claimed to be.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps it was a custom script for updating and the company were running a mishmash of computers on the network?

Reply to
Richard

It was six years ago and you want me to remember some minutiae

If I did have to type in my password I missed that part out in the explanation as not being anything unique to the task I was performing

I was, so there

Idiot!

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yup.

I was a Certified Novell Instructor and at the time saw the rapid erosion of the Netware being used commercially (mainly to NT / Windows Server) because Windows was 'much easier to install / manage'. ;-(

It was (as you say) probably also cheaper to maintain a Windows Server as there would likely to be more Windows people out there (even if it took more maintaining than Netware etc).

I knew of one place that kept a 'Linux geek' in the local Pub, only calling on him when required (by sending a taxi for him and dropping him back). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Nah, TNP knows everything about all linux software distributions.

He also probably knows that linux is a very small part of a distro but like most linux fanatics never acknowledges all the hard work put in by the software developers that did the 99% of the software.

Reply to
dennis

That goes for most things, not only linux.

Reply to
Richard
<snip>

Except that most Windows / OSX software is made by companies, often for sale and sometimes with a free (of cost) version (few people are interested in any other meaning of free).

Much Linux software is developed by people in sheds, mostly to be offered free of charge (and often the other free that mostly only Linux geeks are bothered about) and commercial buyers don't like that they rarely get any level of support.

Linux is often like buying a plain white packet of seeds that says on it 'Mixed Salad', perfectly fine if you are into that sort of thing and are looking for a hobby (rather than dinner). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m