Enlarging a hole

Measured up something round I wanted a reasonably tight fit into 12mm ply.

60mm diameter. Bought a 60mm hole saw, and the hole is slightly undersized. Any tips on the easiest way to enlarge it slightly and neatly

- about 1mm?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wrap abrasive sheet around the hole saw?

Reply to
Richard

Can you find a flap-wheel that will squeeze into the hole? Use this (ideally in a pillar drill) to hone it out to size. Failing that, take a piece of dowel / bar that will fit into your drill, cut a diametral slot of suitable depth in one end, and slide a length of coarse abrasive paper folded double through it as a "DIY" flapwheel.

Reply to
newshound

Have you got a flapwheel?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Use a rasp. Scribe a ring around the exiting hole first if you arent confident of doing it freehand.

Reply to
Jimbo

Get yourself a flap wheel. Excellent for enlarging holes.

|pcrid|78108376509|&CAWELAID=120173390000001133&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=14406255429&CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-SHOPPING-1075642&CATCI=pla-58909124666

Reply to
harry

I remember trying to replace a flap wheel years ago, and not being able to find one. So did a search. Toolstation claimed to have one (they have a branch nearby) but it is deleted. But got a 60mm one from Screwfix, which did the trick in seconds. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 11:13:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote: [snip]

When I saw this, I thought it should be marked 'NSFW' :-)

Reply to
Scott

Excellent: definitely the easiest way to get an accurate result.

Reply to
newshound

No, it wasn't from Adam.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, I do have what was known at work as a honeymoon tool here.

Anyone care to speculate what it is?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Expanding reamer.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Our wiremen called them courting pliers.

For stretching cable markers or other sleeving over cables.

Three thin fingers which separate when you squeeze the handles

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Farmers use a similar tool as well to apply rubber rings to Lambs tails and testicles for docking and castration though they tend to have four fingers.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Also *fanny stretchers*.

I have a *stepped* cutter and a twin flute, cup shaped boring tool. Neither suitable for the OP problem.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Virtual cigar on its way. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

We referred to them as Hellermann pliers when putting rubber sleeves on high voltage cables in UHF TV transmitters waay back in the late sixties!...

Reply to
tony sayer

we used them on MUSA connectors for concealing the braid. Again 1960s. I've still got mine.

Reply to
charles

The wiremen we used in the 70s called them fanny stretchers.

Reply to
Terry Casey