OT Anti virus sorftware

I am using the free version of Avast ATM

It's £20 a year for the paid up version.

Is it worth it?

Reply to
ARW

No. Get Linux.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

When I was using Windows, I just used the Microsoft stuff and did the occasional scan with Malwarebytes.

Don't bother with anything now on this linux install.

Reply to
Richard

Neither do I on this Mac. Having to fart about with anti-virus is God's punishment for using Windows.

Reply to
Tim Streater

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The virus data base will be the same.

Often the paid version just gives you customer support and/or some disabled functions such as real time virus checking as a file etc. is downloaded. You may find that some of the real time extra functions actually slow down your computer especially if you are also using windoze with the inbuilt virus checking.

Reply to
alan_m

I've only ever used the free versions myself but have installed the paid for versions for others. As mentioned elsewhere, the paid-for versions often just give you some more bells and whistles.

I can't say that running an AV package is particularly difficult or time consuming, but then I might be more competent on Windows than most Linux / OSX fanboys. ;-)

Plus, whilst having both OSX and Linux here, I can't use either as my daily desktop because of all the things I would have to go without (including friends). ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not being a fanboy of anything in particular, I stopped bothering with third party AV many years ago on Windows. Never had any problems with viruses.

Reply to
Richard

No, actually, me neither ... I guess that because I'm into all sorts of stuff, I end up using the one that works the easiest / best for me.

Like, I've just been monitoring some new solar panels and I use a little USB voltage logger that only seems to come with Windows software. I'm not saying that you couldn't also use it with OSX / Linux, but I just don't have the time nor interest to struggle to find out (when it works fine on XP (even)).

I think the 'risk' is partly a function of what you do and where you go with your PC. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If this is the "Internet Security" advertised at £49.99 a year* then ISTM it all depends on what you do/where you go.

*
Robin
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

It looks like the Premier set up.

And yes plenty of dodgy sites.

Reply to
ARW

+1
Reply to
Peter Johnson

The biggest risk used to be if you had children of school age who shared digital junk with their friends and then pluged the media into your computer.

Reply to
alan_m

There's probably been a rootkit you're totally unaware of on your system for years. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I use Kaspersky Internet Security. Around £6 on Ebay last time I renewed.

And again +1

Reply to
RobH

I'm considering getting rid of Avast Free because of the constant nagging.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Ah. You have to consider the financial reward of clicking that x knowing that they'll be back 3 days later with some other offer that you can make a further saving by clicking another x.

I do get slightly cross when they hide the free version of an upgrade at the bottom of the pile.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In my experience, AVG and Avast are very much more like malware than anything else. When I find a machine with AVG, or a history of having had AVG, I know it will take quite some time to get rid of it and avoid issues. Allow the usual uninstaller to run (if possible). Run AVG Remove. Run AVG Clear. Sometimes repeat. And there will be several reboots. It can actually be faster to reinstall Windows from scratch. Depends mainly on what you need to set up after reinstalling Windows.

Microsoft do keep adding capabilities to their standard protection stuff - so long as you keep up to date.

I see far more issues from people do silly things with email attachments than anything else. Followed by hacks of their email (e.g. by logging into a portal) with redirects or rules created.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google