Enlarging 4" hole through ceramic tiles

I'm now tiling the ceiling of my shower cubicle, into which there will be a shower fan/light inset, so a 4" diameter hole is needed through the tiles. This will affect 2 tiles only, and I've already cut out two half-moons from these using a hand tile-saw but have yet to attach these two to the ceiling. These are standard ceramic tiles, ~6mm thick.

Unfortunately however, the hole's a bit tight for the fan, so I need to enlarge the diameter by 1 or 2 mm - the sort of task I'd normally do using a file or rasp were I working in wood or metal. But what would be a good way of abrading a ceramic tile without busting it? (It took a long time to saw the hole, so I'd rather not have to do it again!)

Thanks

David

Reply to
Lobster

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Leave the tiles off and cut them to shape with a tile saw before you install them around the ceiling fitting. You won't get a good cut that size after they're stuck in place, believe me.

Reply to
BigWallop

???

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Erm, yes, I agree entirely - that's why I'd already done that step...!

David

Reply to
Lobster

You could always see how much meat there is in the fan housing, and see if it could deal with a trim.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have successfully enlarged/straightened cut-outs in tiles with a very fine file - the flat one from a set of "warding files". It really depends on how much of the tile there is left - I wouldn't want to do it on any narrow projections.

Reply to
Nick Atty

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen ceramic tiles on a ceiling, sure will make it sound extra "echoey" in there ...

Reply to
Andy Burns