OT: Android tablet forum or usenet group?

So was I. The main thing lacking is *ANY* documentation.

I fully expected it to be useless but I wanted to try out a few ideas on the cheapest possible hardware and it proved unexpectedly capable. Its waking up from cold start sequence isn't judder free but apart from that it seems to work perfectly well on the other material I have tried.

I doubt if it can run action games at an acceptable frame rate but since that isn't what I want it for that hardly matters.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Android 2 was for phones, 3 for tablets and 4 onwards is for either.

Reply to
Bob Martin

And if you do decide to get an Android tablet, take a good look at how long it runs on a full charge. Battery life is dire on most of the things. Our first £25 Ebay "bargain" was useful to learn on, but the frustration fact or of it's dying after 30 minutes on WiFi led to a rapid reselling exercise . Screen resolution is a must study too, a lot of the cheap items are only

800x480 - HD output is well worth having. We're using a Novo 7 Flame, not e ntirely current, but it outputs to a 42" HD tv, and runs iPlayer & TVCatchu p perfectly and is used most days for email, browsing, etc. A cheap USB plu g in lets us use a full size mouse and keyboard too, although rarely - the laptops are pretty much gathering dust lately.
Reply to
greyridersalso

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:25:01 AM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wr ote:

A quick question about these things.I?ve never used one, so don?t know what you can/can?t do with them.

I?m planning on getting one for someone suffering from eye problems, tha t make it difficult for them to use the keypad or read the screen on a conv entional mobile phone.

They do a lot of texting, but there are so many spelling mistakes that som e messages are incomprehensible.

The intention is that a Bluetooth connection to the phone would allow them to use a larger keypad on the tablet to send texts and dial numbers.

From the above, I?d think I need to look for 1200 x 800 resolution minim um. They?re a bit of a techno-phobe, so it must be simple to operate. I d on?t want to spend loads on a top-of-range must-have gadget that may neve r be used.

Does the above sound feasible?

Easy or fiddly? Anything else that might make it more useable?

Any recommendations?

Reply to
Onetap

you can/can?t do with them.

make it difficult for them to use the keypad or read the screen on a conventional mobile phone.

messages are incomprehensible.

use a larger keypad on the tablet to send texts and dial numbers.

I am considering using a MyFi wireless router to 3G bridge with mine to get a partially sighted friendly video Skype phone connection. Again it has to work with technophobes at the remote end to be any use.

They?re a bit of a techno-phobe, so it must be simple to operate. I don?t want to spend loads on a top-of-range must-have gadget that may never be used.

I very much doubt it. Figure out how much resolution they can actually manage to see at a typical working distance. I reckon mine could get by with 600 x 400 and would probably not see any difference at 300 x 200. I haven't actually done this test on a tablet but it is based on inability to read the EPG and subtitles on the TV from 2m.

Although it will probably be too small, has no documentation and won't accept a sim card I'd still recommend the cheap one that I got. Play around with it until you can determine exactly what you need and find the apps that do what you want. If they are seriously technophobe you could do a lot of work and still end up with a white elephant.

I thought at first a 7" screen would be too small for them but on reflection it might be more likely to get used if it is that size. Being able to take pictures of fine writing and zoom in is helpful. Fear of "breaking it" is otherwise a barrier that has to be overcome.

It is a very much lower tech solution but have you tried giving them one of those flat clear Fresnel lenses that fits in a wallet (about £2) or a mobile phone with much bigger buttons.

Incidentally does anyone have experience of the TV watching glasses that are designed to give a 2x magnification for visually impaired people. They are fairly expensive for what they are and the scant reviews online are decidedly mixed.

Martin Brown

If you pick the right tablet, then you can in effect use it as a large mobile - which might make it easier.

Again larger may help, or the addition of a proper keyboard.

I got a GoClever 7" tablet recently to have a play with (basically because one of my suppliers was doing them at a relatively low price). It will take a SIM, so you can use it for 3G data and for normal voice calls as well. It has a fairly decent dual core CPU (1GHz) an quad core GPU, 1024 x 600 resolution, 3G data, USB (in and out so you can use proper peripherals with it), SD card slot, HDMI out, GPS etc, Comes with a decent selection of add ons like car and mains adaptors, windscreen bracket and mount. Battery does a good few hours.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for that, & MB too. Much appreciated.

I know nothing about tablets, so any hint is appreciated. I suspect it's the usual learning curve thing of buying what you think you need and then learning that it wasn't.

Reply to
Onetap

You can have 3G data without the ability to make calls. A SIM is required for 3G data but that doesn't make it a phone.

Reply to
Bob Martin

If you have a tablet with a 3G SIM, surely you can make phone calls on Skype?

Reply to
bod

I thought of that - then re-read. Although functionally similar, I don't think you can call Skype usage "normal voice calls".

Reply to
polygonum

Ok, but in what way would it be different? Do you mean that to receive a call on a Data only 3G SIM on Skype that the other caller has to use Skype? I only use Skype for video calls, so I wouldn't know about standard voice calls.

Reply to
bod

I don't use Skype as a rule (and when I have done, it has been video between two or more Skype users). But if you want to ring any telephone number and expect it to work, I think you need to pay Skype something. So that is an extra step/possible cost in connecting the call to the telephone network. Plus Skype does not support, I believe, emergency calls, etc.

Reply to
polygonum

Does anything have useful instructions nowdays? And I'm not taking about 'quick start' guides and health and safety manuals in 87 different languages. I bought an expensive DSLR recently and even that did not have any decent printed instuctions. A downloadable PDF doesn't cut it for a camera IMHO.

Reply to
Mark

If it has Bluetooth capable of connecting to microphone/headset, I'd guess so. I doubt it would be very convenient without something like that. But I do not have that tablet so cannot answer from experience.

Reply to
polygonum

Just realised that to use Skype on a 3G data only card as phone, that you'd need to have Skype activated ALL the time and the charges will be clocking up by the minute even when not making a call (I assume). So, yes, even if it was possible, the charges would be exorbitant.

Reply to
bod

Ok, thanks again.

Reply to
bod

There *are* tablets which make voice calls though. Specifically the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablets work as phones, we have one. Many sellers don't know this though and will tell you that tablets can't make phone calls.

There are much cheaper clones available too, I have just ordered one costing about £100, very similar spec to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7".

Reply to
cl

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 makes ordinary phone calls, it's a mobile phone with a big screen.

Reply to
cl

That depends how much data it consumes over 3G when it is idling and waiting for an incoming call. I haven't measured it yet, but plan to do some tests this weekend (assuming the MiFi hub arrives in time).

I am hoping that it will be under 1MB/day on standby. Your allocation is by volume of data and not by connect time on a data SIM.

Reply to
Martin Brown