OT android 2.2 7" netbook £99

Any point for =A399?

7 inch netbook. Display: 7 Lcd Tft - maximum resolution 800 x 480. Storage= drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google android= 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card slot - expandable = up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports. 1x= earphone port. 1x microphone port. Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4v 24= 00 mah polymer battery.

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google android 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card slot - expandable up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports. 1x earphone port.

1x microphone port. Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4v 2400 mah polymer battery.

I think you can get much more up to date devices for the money. Look on HUKD.

Reply to
GB

orage drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google an= droid 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card slot - expand= able up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 port= s. 1x earphone port. 1x microphone port. Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.=

4v 2400 mah polymer battery.

Check out Maplins good range of reasonably priced Android devices with much= more recent version of Android OS

Reply to
curious

800x480 is a bit low dpi for 7" nowadays, that's the resolution of 3 year old sub-4" phones.

Both are a bit low

Old hat, wouldn't buy anything that comes with less than 4.0 ICS and a promise of an upgrade to 4.1 or 4.2 JB.

single core? slower than average

A bonus, several manufacturers now doing away with expandable storage

Standard

Larger than usual assortment, normally you'd get 1x microUSB and a headphone socket.

Not all tablets have stereo speakers

Quite good considering the slower CPU/smallish screen, but all-in-all in it'll start to feel old very quickly, compared with e.g.

it has a 60% higher price, but

pros

Reply to
Andy Burns

I bought a similar £100 device to play with, loved it but was frustrated by some of the cheapness. Then bought a Nexus 7 for £150, which is immensely better. I'd advise skipping the Chinese tat stage and buying a quality device. They are fantastic, you will not regret the extra cost.

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

rage drive type: 4gb flash. System ram: 256mb. Operating System: google and= roid 2.2. Processor: via 8650 processor 800mhz arm9. Sd card slot - expanda= ble up to 32gb. Built in wi-fi 802.11 B/G/N. Ethernet port. 3 usb 2.0 ports= . 1x earphone port. 1x microphone port. Speaker output 2 x 1w. Battery: 7.4= v 2400 mah polymer battery.

2.2 isn`t optimised for larger displays, icons look very blocky and things are scaled for a smaller display, no bargain at 99 quid

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in news:k8qjof$g45$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I got a cheap tablet (MOMO 9) and have learned how to use Android how to configure e-mail, etc. I have found it more than adequate for my useage and will have no regrets if it breaks down in a few months time. I would probably replace it with something better - as I now appreciate the usefuness of it and would feel inclined to spend a little more. However, I have absolutely no regrets and am please I didn't jump in and buy an expensive one. I got if from:

DerbyBorn

+1 for the Nexus 7 Performance and general Android clunkiness aside, a more subtle point is that some cheap pads use a plastic screen surface which is horrible in feel. Even if you insist on using a screen protector (most pads use Gorilla glass so not necessary IMO), glass just feels better in use.
Reply to
Lee

What do you expect to use it for? Probably fine for a bit of email/web use but watching movies on the move might be more than it can handle.

Others have mentioned the Nexus 7. That wasn't about when I got a Samsun= g Galaxy Tab II 7.0 a few months back. Tesco have those for about the same= price as a Nexus 7. Very pleased with the Tab II.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Anyone have any idea just how scratch-proof Gorilla Glass is?

If you (accidentally) stuck the device[1] in a pocket where it shares space with coins & keys - would it come out unscathed?

[1] OK, I'm talking about a large phone here rather than a 7" or 10" tablet.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

more recent version of Android OS

I realised after I'd posted that the OP refers to a netbook. The majority of android devices are tablets, so you'd need to factor in the cost of a (bluetooth?) keyboard and a stand.

Reply to
GB

I certainly wouldn't pay £99 for that! Low-res display, slow CPU and not enough RAM to do anything useful.

Reply to
Bob Martin

A secondhand Toshiba AC100 has a higher spec and Toshiba build quality, at a similar price. Android is a bit odd on machines without a touchscreen though. The Tosh was still a bit restrictive until I put Ubuntu on it. It still struggles a bit in 512MB though when doing lots of web browsing. Ob d-i-y - there's a variety of hacks around - eg

Android netbooks, there's not a lot of sensible choice. The Asus Transformer range looks interesting, but at a price. So a tablet + keyboard seems the way to go - the Nexus 7 is nice, maybe there are keyboards that integrate well with it. But you don't get it for £99.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I'd overlooked that word netbook, and assumed tablet, are we to guess the O/P is referring to this, or someone else's re-badging of the same thing?

That's definitely be bargepole territory for me. There are several second hand Asus Transformer TF101 on fleabay for around a ton.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But with a really shitty attitude to dissemination of service information

won't be buying anything made by them ever again.

Reply to
The Other Mike

"Due to data protection the Netbooks can only be returned if faulty. This does not affect your statutory rights"

I think they'll find the Distance Selling Regulations /is/ one of my statutory rights...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

That's sad. JOOI, are service manuals typically available for other products? I've done a bit of hunting for other things (dishwashers, cars, computer bits) and mostly found parts diagrams and service tidbits but rarely a full manufacturer service manual. Quite often the service manual is just a poor description of how to unscrew things, when I want to know schematics, part numbers (what's that awkward plastic catch that just broke) or setup information (connect scope to point X and adjust RV405 until you see this waveform).

On this point, I have a schematic for the AC100 and a Tegra 2 manual, so that's most of the details sorted. I can more easily work out how to unscrew things than work out where I find the undocumented SD card signals (there are, on the AC100).

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

At lower end of tablet market , CPC, 7" 60 quid with Android 4.0, not access to Google Play though, apps though SlideMe marketplace.....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

ort. =A0Speaker

That link was of course

Adam Aglionby

Cars, no problem, and some makes have been openly distributing their service literature for decades with technical advice available from the factory. The EU made the service literature distribution compulsory a few years ago.

As far as consumer electronics are concerned, on a lot of modern kit then you'll struggle to get the service information from the vast majority of manufacturers and struggle to obtain anything but standard commercial parts. Some companies are significantly better than others and may even have a parts pricing policy that is positively sane. But it varies by country and what might be a good company say in the US is a pile of stinking dog turd in the EU.

Sony (at least in the UK) used to have extremely cheap service info until the mid to late 90's, (10 - 15 quid was typical) then it all went onto microfilm and cost 10 to 20 x that. You were then forced into buying shit photocopies that, being black and white, didn't show the pcb layouts and tracks correctly and didn't make signal paths clear on the schematics. Add in lead free solder and components that were too small to work with and the throwaway society took off.

White goods service info appears to be non existent. I would love to find a comprehensive 'hooky' resource or even a manufacturer that makes their service info available free or at very low cost (even better is stuff that just works but that is clearly a challenge too far for white goods manufacturers these days)

Computer kit probably isn't worth pissing about with now. Just blackbox it and chuck away what has failed.

Reply to
The Other Mike