OT: a new scam

I meant as physical paper included with the device.

The manufacturers should be sending them out in a more secure state by default. Most of their customers are not tech savvy and many are tech Luddites and will probably never even visit "settings" in the lifetime of their phone. They might get someone else to fix things for them.

Reply to
Martin Brown

They always do :( CLID can be far too easily faked.

I suspect the next step of the fraud is the panic txtmsg to the friend who received the spurious payment saying words to the effect of:

"I intended to pay this big bill with <dodgy scammer> and if I don't make the payment today I'll be stung with a big interest hit - please can you transfer that entire amount to <dodgy scammers account> ASAP".

It will inevitably push for "do it now" which is one of the other hallmarks of a scam. Always stop and think before taking any hasty action no matter how insistent the guy on the phone may be.

How plausible is the writing style to be your friends? Can you contact them directly by mobile (even if they tell you they've lost their mobile this is worth a try since the scammer might have it but will not sound like them).

Unfortunately the banks online warnings don't wake people from their reverie as the social engineering scripts are so well crafted now :(

Reply to
Martin Brown

Correct.

No, because a forgery will never clear.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And for non dinosaurs too.

That's wrong too. The smartphone can use touch ID or facial recognition to check who is using it for the banking transaction. The desktop machine can't.

Paying them in by taking a photo with your smartphone is far more convenient.

Far more secure to use apple pay or google pay on your smartphone.

Far more secure to use apple pay or google pay on your smartphone.

Far better done with a smartphone.

Reply to
farter

Makes more sense to not use a bank that is that stupid and use a better bank and get the convenience of being able to do almost anything anywhere.

Reply to
Rod Speed

When I first tried set up internet banking on our joint account, I had to prove my ID over the phone, by answering some questions about recent purchases. However, it was with Lloyds-TSB and as the account (under my wife's name only) had formerly been with the TSB and not with Lloyds, they could not separate out her payments from mine, so they kept asking things like "You recently made a purchase at Tesco. Approximately how much was it for?" which I could not answer as my wife had made most of the purchases and she was at work, so I couldn't ask her!

Reply to
SteveW

When I have done it, they have asked me to put my card in their card reader and type my PIN in, as if I was making a purchase, they can then scan a cheque, pay in cash or take out cash, without any paperwork or signatures.

Reply to
SteveW

That's never going to happen.

And neither is that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I haven't paid by cheque for decades now.

I did keep a single cheque in my wallet for years and when I needed to buy new pads for my swanp cooler the dinosaur seller would only take cash or a cheque. The cheque was rather battered by then and the seller was rather dubious about taking it, but it worked fine.

Can't do that anymore, dont have any accounts with a cheque book anymore.

We have a system where you can be paid to any mobile number or email address so that should keep those luddites happy.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You can certainly use barclays and natwest pinsentry and cards interchangeably.

Reply to
Andy Burns

By telling the friend that they had sent them the money by mistake when entering the bank account number and getting them to send the money 'back' but in reality to the spammer's account.

Reply to
farter

Why am I not surprised that TNP is ignorant of this?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I like to think that Facebook ads are the modern equivalent of cold calling. The desirability and quality of the product and level of trustworthiness of the purveyor seem to be vaguely aligned with that of the cold callers.

Of course Facebook ads are better targeted, which is why they get a better return on investment than autodialling.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Many are rebadged Gemalto devices:

John Rumm

The worst ever security question we were ever asked (for the final pre-install payment on a fitted kitchen at the card holders address) was:

Q: "What hotel did you stay at in Chester last November?" A: "None - we haven't been to Chester for more than a decade"

They didn't like that answer so we spent best part of 2 hours with the poor sales guy on the phone to them asking us more and more detailed security questions about the account. Eventually we won!

Afterwards we went back the the November statement (~6 months old) and found the official "Correct" answer - which was the works Xmas do at "Lumley Castle, Chester [le Street, County Durham]"

Unfortunate field length truncation there. Nowhere near Cheshire.

The second worst security question was what rented house number did you live at for just 6 months over 2 decades ago in location? Experian asked me that after they had leaked my personal data to hackers :(

Of course I didn't know the number...

Reply to
Martin Brown

One pair I know for sure don't like each other is Nationwide pin sentry unit and Santander bank cards. I will try a few others in a round robin next time I have access to a few different devices.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Techno Luddites don't have smart phones or internet at home so I doubt that they would be at all happy with either of those "solutions". They are the sort of people who still have Building Society passbooks that have to be updated in branch by antediluvian machines that are forever breaking down and have savings accounts that pay <0.1% interest rates.

There are a couple like that in my village.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I've never had (or been offered) a pinsentry for my santander debit card, maybe their cards don't support it? They just seem to send SMS for everything.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote

It doesnt need to be a smartphone, just a bank account and mobile number.

Don't need that either. Its just an assignment of a mobile number or email address to a bank account for receiving money transfers by someone else. And its instant so they know if they have got the money if they have some way of checking their balance or have the bank account notify them of transactions.

But they don't get any choice if you tell them that you can't write cheques anymore.

They can still have their mobile number or email address as a recipient of cash.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Because I haven't received a cheque in over 2 years? And when I did I used to send them to my bank or pay them in at the local post office. The last one went stray under lockdown, so I took it my bank. I am not generally aware of what side a Tena pant fastens either, having no need of such. Yet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher