OT: a new scam

That is in the nearest decent sized market town - 10 miles away. I could choose other smaller sized towns nearby with just 1 bank remaining. In my village the single main street through it doesn't even *have* a name.

One of the more annoying bank security questions I have been asked is name a street that connects to the street with your house on. I have now found a "correct" answer to that Q but it required consulting Victorian era OS maps. They didn't like A19 as an answer.

Reply to
Martin Brown

= user error. RTFM.

The moment I noticed that I was getting visible notifications from Barclays that I had paid £xx.xx from my personal account on my locked phone, I realised that this was a security issue so I read the Online help and worked out how to suppress them.

Now I just get a bland message from Barclays saying "unlock to read".

Reply to
Andrew

Despite *ALL* the warnings to never disclose any OTP codes to anyone.

Reply to
Andrew

Not if he doesn't want to use it. No point and means the phone has to be secured.

Reply to
Max Demian

Most people don't though and modern mobile phones do not come with any physical manual at all (recognising that people never read them).

There might be a quick start guide if you are lucky...

I agree but many people have been scammed by theft of mobile and cards at the same time and the banks have been less than helpful (at least they were until R4 You & Yours started beating them about the head).

Reply to
Martin Brown

That's no good if you want to use the website on a laptop.

Reply to
Max Demian

Some time ago the genuine Barclays bank sent me an SMS asking me to ring the number they put in the text. Naturally I checked that the number was genuine, so there was no point in them giving it. The person I rang didn't see that there was a security risk in doing it this way.

Reply to
Max Demian

They do that because you need an extra pinSentry step to create a new payee, but not to send money to an exiting payee.

Maybe the scammers have built a "social graph" of victims and their next move would be to call/email the friend and ask for the accidental money to be returned, except to a different account?

Reply to
Andy Burns

From their PoV, they assume most people have a smartphone.

Reply to
Andy Burns

School report: Caroline is a bright girl. When she leaves school, she wants to go into bonking.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

One of the reasons I ditched them as far as I could.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have both, but I only do online banking on my PC. Just because I also have the Barclays App on a Smartphone does not prevent me from doing do. In fact, the App software PinSentry is a lot clearer than the nasty little hardware device with its Amstrad PPC640 display (no backlight) :-( and I don't have to fish out my debit card every time either.

Reply to
Andrew

My MotoG31 has quite a good online manual, certainly far more detailed than a quick start guide.

Still user error though. Why on earth should banks be responsible for careless customers ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Or more likely they would adapt, and find new ways to counter that approach.

Reply to
John Rumm

Because setting up a payment to a new destination needs additional pinsentry authorised steps - steps that would require not just using the card and pin, but also the user inputting the value of the transaction. So it would be *much* harder to social engineer the owner of the account to carry out those steps.

A social engineering attack on the friend could be one option: e.g.

Text to them:

"Hi xxxx, I need your help urgently, as I have messed up. I just found out from my bank that I need to pay off an unauthorised overdraft RIGHT NOW, or they are going to charge me hundreds in fees and interest. So I went to make a payment online to the bank, but in my panic I clicked the wrong thing and transferred the money to you instead! Can you do me a BIG favour and make the payment into my account for me? The account details are Name, SC, acct# etc."

The account details provided will be one the scammer has opened in the name of the victim at another bank.

Reply to
John Rumm

I expect there is more to that storey that conveyed here... They might be able to login to the account, but that alone would not allow new payments to be setup.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nope, banks have been doing that for years now.

Reply to
farter

Fraid so, most obviously because it can use touch ID or facial recognition.

Reply to
farter

You still have a paying in book. How very quaint!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Actually no you can't at least not across some pairs of banks. I have two have separate ones for my own account and the village halls.

If I put a card into the wrong one it says "wrong card". I suspect any card from the same banking group would be OK but I have never really experimented with which ones work and which do not.

Reply to
Martin Brown