OT A head-scratcher for the South West.....

.... pointless asking in the local NGs as the signal to noise ratio is ridiculous.

OK, it was maybe 30-40 years ago. The normal route down to Cornwall through Devon is the A30. I recollect deciding to go through Somerset and North Devon, perhaps, maybe through Taunton, Tiverton, Crediton, Bude and onto the north Cornwall coast.

I recollect stopping at 'The Black Cat Cafe' somewhere on that journey. I think there was lso a Black Cat garage. The cafe was on a corner on top of a bank, and one approached it by climbing some steps set into the bank. I found some references to it a few years back but can't find any trace now. I'm guessing it's closed now, Anybody know the place, or can shed some light?

Reply to
The Wanderer

The cafe and garage you describe are on the Tiverton to Bampton road , both are now closed but the signs are still there , about 20 mins from me

Reply to
devonsteve

To be a bit more accurate the prmises are located at the junction of the A396 and the B3227

Reply to
devonsteve

Was it a Little Chef at one point?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sadly, almost everything was a Little Chef at one point....

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Thank you muchly.

I guessed it would have closed long since, as have so many of our road side cafes. Looking at the map, I can't for the life of me work out why on earth I would have travelled that particular road, unless I decided I wanted a spell from A roads and thought I'd travel the B 3227 for a while! :-)

Reply to
The Wanderer

Don't think so. From memory the location was a bit out of the way.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Nay, nay and thrice nay! There were some excellent greasy spoon cafes around a few years ago, sadly most of them are either closed or housing estates.....

:-(

Reply to
The Wanderer

There was one on the A30 about there though - on a hill.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm glad stuff like this bugs someone else, too :-) Also glad you found your answer.

Thankfully greasy spoon transport cafes seem to still be alive and well here in the US - although none of them know how to do proper bacon...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Hmm, that always tended to be something of an issue for me - most greasy spoons barely cooked the bacon. I like mine well cooked!

Reply to
The Wanderer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Wanderer saying something like:

One thing I'm grateful to Elfin Safey for, is the modern lack of Elastoplast hanging off greasy spoon servers' fingers, as memorable incident recalls.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

US bacon's always streaky and with a very high fat/meat ratio - they don't do big slabs of back bacon like UK transport cafes always seem to dish up :-( Can't even buy it in the shops to cook yourself, either.

My grandad used to own a chippy - I remember how he used to tell a tale of losing a plaster when at work once. He never did find it, so the assumption was that it went home in someone's food, but nobody ever did complain.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules