OT A head-scratcher for the South West.....

.... pointless asking in the local NGs as the signal to noise ratio is ridiculous.
OK, it was maybe 30-40 years ago. The normal route down to Cornwall through Devon is the A30. I recollect deciding to go through Somerset and North Devon, perhaps, maybe through Taunton, Tiverton, Crediton, Bude and onto the north Cornwall coast.
I recollect stopping at 'The Black Cat Cafe' somewhere on that journey. I think there was lso a Black Cat garage. The cafe was on a corner on top of a bank, and one approached it by climbing some steps set into the bank. I found some references to it a few years back but can't find any trace now. I'm guessing it's closed now, Anybody know the place, or can shed some light?
--
The Wanderer

Faith is a gift from your God

The cafe and garage you describe are on the Tiverton to Bampton road , both are now closed but the signs are still there , about 20 mins from me

To be a bit more accurate the prmises are located at the junction of the A396 and the B3227
devonsteve wrote:

Was it a Little Chef at one point?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

<snip>
Sadly, almost everything was a Little Chef at one point....
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:40:53 -0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

Nay, nay and thrice nay! There were some excellent greasy spoon cafes around a few years ago, sadly most of them are either closed or housing estates.....
:-(
--
The Wanderer

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:35:19 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Don't think so. From memory the location was a bit out of the way.
--
The Wanderer

Usenet is like a troupe of performing elephants with diarrhoea:
The Wanderer wrote:

There was one on the A30 about there though - on a hill.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:39:06 -0800 (PST), devonsteve wrote:

Thank you muchly.
I guessed it would have closed long since, as have so many of our road side cafes. Looking at the map, I can't for the life of me work out why on earth I would have travelled that particular road, unless I decided I wanted a spell from A roads and thought I'd travel the B 3227 for a while! :-)
--
The Wanderer

The future isn't what it used to be.
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:04:33 +0000, The Wanderer wrote:

I'm glad stuff like this bugs someone else, too :-) Also glad you found your answer.
Thankfully greasy spoon transport cafes seem to still be alive and well here in the US - although none of them know how to do proper bacon...
cheers
Jules
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:39:08 -0600, Jules wrote:

Hmm, that always tended to be something of an issue for me - most greasy spoons barely cooked the bacon. I like mine well cooked!
--
The Wanderer

Wine Improves with age. The older I get the better it tastes!
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Wanderer

One thing I'm grateful to Elfin Safey for, is the modern lack of Elastoplast hanging off greasy spoon servers' fingers, as memorable incident recalls.
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:57:51 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

US bacon's always streaky and with a very high fat/meat ratio - they don't do big slabs of back bacon like UK transport cafes always seem to dish up :-( Can't even buy it in the shops to cook yourself, either.

My grandad used to own a chippy - I remember how he used to tell a tale of losing a plaster when at work once. He never did find it, so the assumption was that it went home in someone's food, but nobody ever did complain.
cheers
Jules