OT: a (delicate) question for hardened hikers

I've recently started doing long walks again after a break of *ahem* years (last Friday was the Clarendon way, 40km from Winchester to Salisbury) but each time I go further than about 20k I get very sore buttocks. I've tried the Helly Hansen wicking underpants and found that not only did they not solve the problem but they also gave me a bad case of betty swollocks. Is this something that those of us whose buns are less firm than they used to be have to cope with, or is there a way to prevent it?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

If I understand you correctly you had what could be described as friction damage on your cheeks. Not something I usually suffer from but I did get afflicted on a short walk (Nantle Ridge) some years ago. On advice of another member of the party I used Vaseline on the painful area the next day and it worked a treat. Luckily the campsite had a shower which no doubt also helped. Not suffered again since but then I don't do much walking these days.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

polygonum

As mentioned, Vaseline, or if you're feeling flush, Bodyglide should help. Compression shorts worn under your usual shorts/trousers may well help too. Good for thigh chaffing as well.

I happened to notice that SportsDirect seemed to have plenty in stock that weren't too pricey.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Yes, I suppose it was friction where the "cheeks" rub against each other. Savlon solves it afterwards but it's so painful that I want to find a way to prevent it.

Reply to
NoSpam

I think the Helly Hansen things could be called compression shorts, the problem was that because they're nylon'ish the sweat was pretty awful. I hadn't heard of Bodyglide before but sounds like it might be the answer (but what a dreadful website!). Thanks

Reply to
NoSpam

possibly a step too far - I don't want to frighten the wildlife!

Reply to
NoSpam

Are they significantly compressing? I wasn't aware that they did compression gear. I personally have never got on with HH tops which I find manage to fit badly, chaff and be bugger all use at keeping me warm.

Maybe smartwool would be worth a shot?

to have great wicking properties.

Bodyglide is less greasy and seems to last longer than Vaseline. That said, Vaseline is cheap and readily available so should probably be the first thing to try. Reapply as necessary.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

The Royal Marines favour Vaseline and cyclists compression shorts (the non-padded sort) or Underarmour HeatGear compression shorts.

Cyclists (who suffer grievously from this affliction) favour udder cream from their local farm suppliers (yes - that sort of udders) . ("Udderly Smooth" is their favourite brand it seems) .

A quick Google for "Hiking saddle rash" will get you far more information than is healthy and probably put you off walking (and certainly cycling - the fungi they deal with in their "chamois" is not something one would wish on their second worst enemy).

Reply to
Peter Parry

It does work, but I found it ended up as a sticky/slimy mess to remove afterwards (ok, so it starts off like that) may be I used to much.

Reply to
Andy Burns

NoSpam :

Angle grinder.

Seriously, though, if you keep doing the 40k walks your buns will firm up nicely. Until then... talcum powder?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

German way ^^^

(Not entirely safe for work, but a tiny bit more tasteful :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

The most effective wicking material is polyester as it does not absorb moisture but transfers it well. Cotton is one of the worst and wool in between but nearer polyester than cotton. Polyester can also be made to be very slippy so in compression shorts it grips the skin firmly (no movement and no friction), wicks moisture away and has little friction between outer clothing and the compression shorts.

The trick is to get shorts which are skin tight and move with your body - there should be no movement at all between the shorts and the skin.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I used to use cream for thighs rubbing whilst walking in warmer places than the UK. I found a stick deodorant solved the problem better by stopping any dampness.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

I think talcum powder (e.g. Johnson's Baby Powder) is the best, in conjunction with as many showers as you can get during your hike.

Use shower gel rather than soap.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Chamois cream Works a treat

rower cyclist tested on 80 miles a day bike ride

the other thing is to get the right kit as stated

Reply to
chris

"Be the first to upload your video of the Chamois BUTT'r"

err, no thanks.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, as you 'firm up' the wobbly wear will diminish. I don't suffer from this affliction when I start walking in the Winter as I do all of my shopping (SF, TS, Aldi Lidl etc. - oh, and food) by bike, but I have a third nipple over a bottom rib and walking causes my shirt to rub on that and make it sore. A bit of Vaseline on the nipples...

Reply to
PeterC

My problem is caused by the cheeks rubbing against each other (rather than against clothing) so wouldn't compression shorts tend to make this worse? I've always hated wearing polyester; the wicking tops seem OK but the HH shorts just seem to cause more sweatiness. Maybe the answer is to have tightish cotton over the polyester(?)

Reply to
NoSpam

That's an interesting idea for some areas, but the thought of rubbing my bum with a deodorant stick seems a little bizarre.

Reply to
NoSpam