OT A bit of advice please

#when I was working close to Oxford Circus, I used to walk to Waterloo when the weather was right. Usually using Hungerford Bridge, but soemtimes Waterloo Bridge, passing the IEE at Savoy Place.

Reply to
charles

What's a city? B-)

Having said that I often get a reminder of the amount of particulates a diesel spews out. On a cold crisp day you can be outside and no sign of your breath. Tractor goes past up wind and instantly you can see your breath and for the next few breaths until exhaust clears.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's because the pavement is full of cyclists.

That's what rather annoys me about so many of them. They demand their rights under the highway code, etc - but ignore the rights of others. It would be total chaos if the majority of other road users did the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The IEE (well, IET) has gone all posh. Haven't been there since the refurb but will be near there soon, so I'll go and get my free coffee!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Ditto BP Worthing, but it is summer, so no need to refine central heating oil, hence lots more diesel on the spot market.

Reply to
Andrew

My cousins OH has a 51 reg prius that they bought 2nd hand about 10 years ago. She was a district nurse and needed to go in an out of the congestion charge zone (sometimes), plus lots of stop/start journeys.

About 3 years ago they had some problems and the toyota dealer changed the ECU, which didn't fix it so a new battery pack was fitted and they got a refund for the unnecessary ECU change. cost about £2,600 I think.

Reply to
Andrew

+1

The smell of NO2 seems to be more obvious now. Not surprising with 10 illion diesel cars on the road. It's sheer weight of numbers.

I gave up cycling 15 years ago when I began to notice how much filthy black gunge was lining my nose after a 40 mile ride in and around sussex. And that was before the stampede for 'free car tax' got going.

Reply to
Andrew

Not going to read the whole thread - but IIRC modern Diesels clog their filters on repeated short runs. They need to be taken out and thrashed to make them behave properly. IYSWIM...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And giving them a thrashing needs to coincide with them wanting to be thrashed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The media? Yeah, great advice they give. The thing that can't be denied is the massive efficiency advantage that diesels enjoy over petrol. A tank full of diesel will get you *way* further than the same amount of petrol. IMV it's a huge mistake to write- off the diesel engine given the immense improvements that have been made to it over the years and likely to come in the future (if they hadn't announced petrol and diesel are to be phased out in 2040).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

What a lot of old nonsense from the usual suspect. If advances are made in filter technology in future as I fully expect to be the case, then diesels will enjoy a new lease on life and may well become more environmentally-friendly than these electric cars whose rare-earth mineral needs at the manufacturing stage are very far from green.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Euro 5 diesels have had particulate filters for 8 years or more, and seem effective at stopping the "black cloud" of soot, some cars have the liquid catalyst to deal with NOx, I don't know if that coincides exactly with Euro 6 or not.

Dieselgate was as much about setting a test, then complaining that manufacturers pushed it right to the limit, but that and the 2040 death knoll probably means that even manufacturers such as audi that in the last decade have sold 3 diesels for every petrol, won't bother with much diesel improvement.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I still frequently see plumes of black smoke from cars. they can't all be pre-Euro5. I don't think the controls always work.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris