Orbital sander at Aldi

99% of Aldi customers probably would as you say. However, since their market share is only around 2% on groceries, and I am sure substantially less on tools, it doesn't even register. That would even be assuming that the product was any good in the first place.
Reply to
Andy Hall

Only if the product is usable in the first place. These cheap sanders are so poorly engineered that the levels of vibration make them unsuitable for all than short bursts of use.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Screwfix do not sell Ferm any more.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Our local Aldi is in Hythe which isn't exactly a cheap place. An Aldi and a Waitrose have the place covered. Can't say I go in there that often but I have been impressed with their fruit and veg. They seem to have very little frige area for veg so it's all delivered fresh each day and stacked up in the shop more like a traditional Green grocer (we are luck and still have a couple of these left - not for long I suspect). The fruit and veg is good and very cheap (I wouldn't like to say where it comes from though...)

The other things that they are brilliant for is basic dish washer tablets (none of this crap 14-in-one do everything rubbish) and also for continental food. The lidl Potato salad is *excellent* and *exactly* like it is in germany (I have a german friend who shops there for just that!) and some of the choritzo etc is miles ahead of anything you'll find in the normal supermarkets IMO.

I must admit to being quite impressed at the quality of stuff. Wish they would have more tills open though so it doesn't take forever to get served :-(

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Lidl is my local store now.. Its 200m closer than kwick save and 400m closer than Asda. Some of the stuff in Lidl is good some bad just like the other stores.

Reply to
dennis

I can honestly say vibration is minimal as I test Aldi's power tools before deciding on keeping it so I can take it back the day after I bought it. :-)

Reply to
George

Waitrose is a far better choice.

That's a problem for me. I won't buy food products without knowing the origin.

I can imagine that they could manage to import German produced foods without too much incident. Unfortunately, there is very little German food that I can or would want to eat - certainly not potato salad.

I just won't tolerate that. There is no excuse for a queue longer than 2 people in a supermarket. Any more than that and I walk out because any possible cost saving is blown away by the wait.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Of course not fool have you never heard of cross breeders?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

No they didn't. Are you IMM? You seem to be nursing this OT point despite several attempts to put you out of our misery.

KwikSave sold up to Sommerfield who took the chain on to strip it of its assets and let the unproductive shops fall off. The actual brand took a bashing when the founder retired to live off the fat of the land. I believe he then went into land development. No doubt giving Sommerfield some pointers.

I dare say that all these super warehouses of the multi-complexes such as Tesco's keep opening up -even in regions where employment has taken a well advertised slump, are investments, as the land is usually prime brown-field and their "warehouse" construction styles are very cheap to build and run and can always convert to factory premises one day when the pyramid topples.

None of which has got anything to do with the OP except of course that you seem terminably unable to accept the fact that like Woolworth's and Marx and Spencer's, Aldi (and Lidl) started out selling tools cheaply, as opposed to selling cheap tools.

Any objections you have to fair competition or foul is your problem. If you must, then by all means feel free to start your own thread on the subject.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

That's total bollocks, it's in pretty good shape at present, those that are dealing with problems are the ones who have sat on their butts, become too arrogant or have stretched themselves one way or the other (which is the problem with Tesco's ATM - IMO - they have committed themselves to the USA (and other overseas) markets when many in the industry were worrying that they might have problems doing so.

I might add at this point that my family has been involved in the food industry (supply side) for the last 60 odd years. In fact if it had not been for my fathers recommendation, to the board of the City of London / Smithfield wholesale company that he worked for, to allow Tesco to have credit when they wanted to open their first supermarket there might never have been Tesco supermarkets.

Hmm, the Henry Ford style of marketing, which only worked as long as no one else was supplying cheap cars...

What Tesco's seem to be have been doing recently is only stocking what they make the most profit on, not what have been fast and popular lines, this is also how they can afford to cut prices without forcing the supplier to cut their supply price - when that can't be done the recipe gets altered, which can then force people away [1].

[1] IMPO when the label says "Improved Recipe" what they often mean is 'Cheapened Recipe'...

But Lidl is not in trouble, nor are their parent company.

Reply to
:Jerry:

More straw Andy, or are you know attempting to source it direct from Australia - do you need a bigger shovel?...!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Of course. It's a matter of choice.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Only if there is another supermarket (or a street full of traditional shops) next door, even if it takes half an hour to get through the check-out you're still never going to be able to travel to another store, park, do your shopping again and then travel the extra distance back in half an hour - never mind the time that you've wasted shopping and then leaving your trolley / purchases in the middle of the shop floor and walking out!

Reply to
:Jerry:

I think that you are becoming confused.

The argument is perfectly valid.

Point 1. If the product isn't usable, then it really doesn't matter how cheap it is.

Point 2. If time has to be wasted returning the product for replacement or refund then there is a high cost for that, be it in real cash or cash equivalent terms.

Point 3. If the product lifetime is limited, then the cost has to be multiplied by the number of times longer a decent one would last, plus the number of store visits to procure the replacements.

Once all of those are taken into account, the low priced item is far from low priced.

Reply to
Andy Hall

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Weatherlawyer saying something like:

There was Pluto, of course. He came from a fast breeder.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

This is all irrelevant. The brand value was weak and the market share and share price fizzled.

That may or may not be a good investment.

They are selling cheap tools cheaply with no proper service, which is even worse.

There's nothing wrong with competition. The issue was about whether or not a particular product was worth having, and the answer to that one is clearly not for all the reasons given,

Reply to
Andy Hall

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "George" saying something like:

You'd be lucky to get the same thing in the store - most of the 'special offers' come and go, so a refund is much more likely.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Oysters and champagne.. both very over rated.. a bit like Prius.

Reply to
dennis

You sound like an easy going kind of bloke.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Relative to what? To it's own terms of reference possibly, but flat line trading for two years is hardly good shape in terms of the requirements of the investment market.

It's a business decision. Either it will work or it won't. If it doesn't, then people will get fired. If it does, they will make nice bonuses. Both as they should be.

I am sure that Lady Porter owes you a debt of gratitude. Equally, I am sure that the supply side owes her father a debt of gratitude. It's just a pity that supermarkets in general (all of them) are meat dispensers and not butchers, but that's another story.

Once again this is making the assumption that price is the only trading criterion. No wonder the UK food supply industry (the whole chain) is so appalling.

Nothing wrong with profitable lines especially if it also results in a raising of standards.

Quite.

It depends what you mean by "in trouble". If you mean 'are they going to go broke'? Unfortunately not. 'Are they a success in the UK market?'. Certainly not. Either they don't know what they are doing or they are not seriously investing or the demand for what they are peddling is minimal. There aren't any other reasons for such poor market penetration.

Reply to
Andy Hall