Orbital sander at Aldi

If Aldi were charging Bosch prices for their tools then doubtless they too could afford all that. BTW you are expecting Aldi in your example to combine both Bosch AND Axminster organisation and service. So your comparison is at least doubly unfair.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Then they should be, but selling quality products. Either they should do the job properly or not at all

Not at all.

If they are acting 'in-loco' as a manufacturer then they should provide manufacturer service. As a retailer, they should certainly be providing support for what they sell.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is in the box.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But Aldi's core business is buying things cheap and selling things cheap (but at a profit).

Tesco in Hungary sell car tyres.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Based on their market share, there doesn't seem to be that much interest in that.

Still not a good thing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They are expanding quickly - at least in S London. While the smaller UK chains are in trouble.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I could imagine that their expansion (although it's 0.1 - 0.2% in 2% range) would be at the expense of Somerfield and the like; but did you mean in the sense of opening more stores or more people in them? Kwiksave have discovered that having/expanding to a lot of stores doesn't lead to a solid business. If the business model is wrong, you just go broke faster.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Their stores still seem like a total jumble to me. One day they'll do a C&A and realise their sites are worth more than their business.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Matalan saw off C&A from the UK. A home grown company.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But Lidl/Aldi are a bit cleverer than Kwiksave. People are doing their basic shop there and popping into Sainsburys only if they want 15 types of carrot to choose from

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That rational would mean the end of the DIY 'sheds' and their one stop shopping...

Reply to
:Jerry:

At one time B&Q only had a 1% market share!

More straw Andy?...

Reply to
:Jerry:

The new Lidl in Leatherhead is a raving success.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

But linseeds might spontaneously combust and set fire to your underpants. Wife sprinkles them on my Sugar Puffs

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Those stockbrokers are all cheapskates at heart

Reply to
Stuart Noble

She probably needs to do that to get any results in that department.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

If it's anything like the Lidl's around here it's because they have second a (or third...) house in Europe and realise that the UK's retail obsession with paying people to fill shelves just forces the costs up (and thus price) and that the products stocked by Lidl's are the same as what Lidl's and others sell abroad.

Reply to
:Jerry:

C&A were a private company stuck in a time warp. They just decided being a landlord would be easier, and there were no shareholders to dispute the decision. I'm not convinced M&S won't go the same way eventually. Appointing saviours/messiahs is a bad sign, as we know from the football world.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Which people and what basic shop? I don't really buy "basic shop" things like cornflakes and cans of beans.

I don't want that either - just good quality items of known origin and content

Reply to
Andy Hall

That's true, but it grew really rather rapidly.

Lidl and Aldi have been in the market for many years and their market share still hovers around 1-5-2% with little change.

Nope. Just solid market data.

Reply to
Andy Hall