Opinion sought: Evolution Fury, 185 mm multipurpose circular saw

How good is the Evolution Fury, 185 mm multipurpose circular saw, B&Q

59.98, for light use. Any experience?
Reply to
Peter Percival

Are you sure it will be big enough for everything you're likely to need it for? I'd say 250mm is more useful for general work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have the non sliding version & I'm quite impressed with it for the money. Fairly well made, cuts a 4 x 2 easily & accurately, very light & compact.

I do have a bigger sliding saw for other jobs, but I keep the Evolution in the van for smaller stuff.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

sounds like a chop saw? not a "freehand" circular saw

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

What is the sole plate made from? Bit of flexible bent tin or cast? I've got cheapy MacAllister MCS1200L from B&Q, this has pretty ridged cast sole plate. OK probably only cast zinc but at least in doesn't flex when you apply pressure.

165 mm so smaller depends what you envisage your deepest cut is going to be. Remember a bevel cut needs rather more than "depth" and a 90 degree one. Curiously the MacAlister cuts to 52 mm and the Fury only 54 mm. But I'm not sure you can trust the website information. Like the above page gives a blade size of 190 mm for the MacA. Mine is definately 165 mm and will cut to 52 mm.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Seem to remember that only their own blades fit - or at least only a very small range exist. But that could be another Evolution model. Worth checking before committing.

Reply to
polygonum

quick goggle reveals 185mm with 20mm bore, lots of options to fit on ebay or reduction rings available too.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Fair enough.

You might want to read "reviews" at Screwfix.

Where it is "Free".

With Evolution mitre saw...

Reply to
polygonum

Sorry, was the OP talking about a circular saw? I thought he was referring to a chop/mitre saw?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've got something similar, Lidl own brand, and I find it OK for coarse long cuts - say lengths of floorboard or sheet materials. Quick and portable - but noisy and crude.

My most used similar device is an Evolution 210mm compound sliding mitre saw - sure I paid less than £100 at Screwfix. Had to cut a lot of struts, posts, studwork, floorboards etc accurately and at 45/90 cuts. Superb, saved me probably days.

Reply to
RJH

Circular saw.

Mufang Loop

60mm for wood. >
Reply to
Mufang Loop

Trivial I know - but I'm a bit put-off by the name "fury" - it doesn't sugg est elegant and precise joinery to me.

If your work will mostly/always be panel timber - consider a cordless circu lar saw. Used with a sawboard, they produce fast, precise results - and see m a great deal less noisy to me. I bought the DeWalt recently (having been

*given* a set of Li-ion batteries with another tool to review!) and I'm now a total convert. My corded SkilSaw hardly, if ever, gets out of the box th ese days.
Reply to
dom

I'd guess if someone is considering a B&Q cheapie, cost may be an issue?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was in Screwfix the other day and they (I think) one of these and a mitre saw as a package for £100, which seemed a good buy if I was in the market for them. I have one of their sliding mitre saws and it seems pretty good to me. It certainly rips through the things I've presented it with (mild steel, wood, aluminium), gives a pretty good finish and seems to be set up nice and square.

Reply to
GMM

It's now in use and suits me fine. (Mind you, I know nothing about anything.)

Reply to
Peter Percival

Two problems: The blade has come loose once. (Which sounds dangerous to me.) I had not loosened, or indeed done anything, to the nut which holds it on. Also, the thing one tightens to fix the depth of cut no longer tightens. Difficult to explain that one. I shall write to Evolution about these two problems. Dunno if I've still got the receipt...

Reply to
Peter Percival