Handheld circular saw recommendation?

I recently used a handheld circular saw and found it much easier to use than my jigsaw, so I'm thinking of buying one.
The one I used was rechargable but they seem to be VERY expensive, so I'll probably get a mains one, especially since I always find that my rechargable tools have run down when I want to use them. Can anyone recommend one? I'll be using it for general d-i-y, including cutting laminate flooring (presumably I need a fine-toothed blade for that).
-- Richard
Richard Tobin wrote:

How much you willing to shell out is the question?
Here's a battery one for 60GBP http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 1378&ts3916&id(146
Then theres the Frued at the same price, which is a better make but mains. http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 1378&ts3915&id394
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Forget the Ryobi never to notice of battery seperate,cheeky bleeders
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Richard Tobin wrote:

I got a (gulp) "performance pro" rechargable one from B&Q & it was about 40 quid. Work's just fine and has lasted several years but the baseplate does flex if you put too much force on it. It has a fine toothed disc which gives a good cut. For laminate I generally use a slide saw. Laminate will blunt a good blade in no time at all. For heavier duty tasks the rechargeable saw doesn't have much stamina so I use a mains powered saw then.
Richard Tobin wrote:

IME cheap circular saws are fine if you don't need precise adjustment, and the blades they come with are ok for routine stuff like flooring and worktops. I know you get what you pay for but in this instance it's a question of not paying for what you don't need. Duck :-)
Richard Tobin wrote:

General comments here:
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/circularsaw.htm
For a mid range price the saws made by Skil (now part of Bosch) can be more than adequate. If you want a good top end one the Hitachi make some of the best I have used.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:54:22 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

I've got a Skil saw which I'm scared of. It is a powerful beast and commands respect (as does anything with a fast, sharp blade spining very close to your hands). Having said that it _does_ do all I ask it to. For less demanding work (like cutting a fullsize ply board into more managable pieces) I got one of the cheapo cordless jobs off ebay. It has 2 batteries but does run out of "puff" pretty quickly. OK for 50 quid though.
Pete
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .
Peter Lynch wrote:

MY B&D 7 1/4" makes me feel much the same!

I bought the SIP 18v jobby with two batteries. Great for cuting MDF etc when boxing in pipes and the like. Mine runs out of puff pretty quickly as well, but with two batts & a 1 hour charger I can live with it. I did buy a thin kerf blade which gives a smoother cut & improves battery life.
A sparky mate swears by the Wickes 18v one.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Any opinion on the Australian Triton brand?
Their 235 mm circular saw is sold in B&Q Warehouses for about 230 pounds. Or on special offer, direct: http://tritontools.co.uk/specials.php?osCsid 50b558b4d816d1d494c362318495ba
I'm tempted by their kit - saw tables etc, but not bit the bullet yet.
Roger
Richard Tobin wrote:

stay well away from power devils - just in case youre tempted
NT

Yes indeed, if they are still as bad as the one I got about 5 years ago, then not at all nice, downright nasty and dangerous in fact.
The Argos Challenge one I got in a set with a diabolically poor pendulum jigsaw for 25 is fine though.
HLAH wrote:

Nasty and dangerous? Why? Maybe I've missed something on mine

The safety guard catches and won't retract easily.
HLAH wrote:

Yes, mine does catch on the edge of thin material sometimes but you have a lever there to get it started. My old Elu was the same, and that wasn't cheap. Never had any trouble with retraction.
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Blimey, we're even going to argue about this! I've had a PD for about 5 years and I've no complaints. The base isn't quite square with the blade but I can live with that for 30.
On 2006-08-23 17:30:26 +0100, Stuart Noble

But how could a circular saw with a non-square base be of any value at all at any price?
Andy Hall wrote:

It required only a minor modification to make it so.
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com was thinking very hard :

Power Devil is just one name under which the very same item will be sold. The just stick different names on the same items from the very same factories.
Power Devil are no better no worse than the other cheap end of the market range and if you want a basic saw...
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On 23 Aug 2006 11:36:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) wrote:

Hi,
You might be able to get one of these locally:
<http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7110962.htm
If you're lucky it'll come with a 40 tooth blade.
cheers, Pete.
Richard Tobin wrote:

Not that I'd buy a circular this cheap,but for your general DIY once in a while usage? Buy a good fine cut blade for it and it'll do. http://www.netto.co.uk
--