Opening/removing SUPRA key-safe.

Assuming that it's a re-working of the copmmonplace office doorlock mechanism of that form, then manipulate it to open it. This sort isn't hard (half-an-hour ish) and the information is on the web.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The one in my local bank, for access to the staff area, has an LCD touchpad. I presume the location of the 'buttons' changes each time it's used.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I bet it doesn't, it would inconvenience the staff too much. I have actually fitted alarms in a bank at one time in my past and it wasn't half as secure as you might think. It was a bugger drilling safe doors to fit the tremblers and lock covering plates as cobalt drills weren't available when I was doing it. I getting HSS drills in boxes of a hundred. 8-)

I don't think it matters if I mention it these days as the bank in question doesn't exist any more so I can't exactly give much away.

Reply to
dennis

Almost certainly, stops "shoulder surfing".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A guy I was working for locked his house as well as car keys inside his car and his girlfriend had gone to Cornwall (we were in Henley) for a couple of days. He wanted to borrow a steel tape measure to slide down the window to hook some mythical mechanism inside and unlock it. Wrecked my 50p B&Q tape doing it :-(

Then I had a look. It was a Mitsubishi (IIRC) jeep-ey thing with rear windows of the design of a sheet of glass hinged at one end with a catch at the other that allows them to open by an inch or so, and when shut the glass simply presses agains the rubber surround to seal it. I was able to pry the glass away from the seal enough to slide a thin steel wrecking bar in and flick the catch to open it as far as it would go. That was far enough to get something long (I think I used a stopcock key) through to work a door handle.

The guy seemed to have mixed feelings about it: grateful to have got in and got his keys back but freaked out that it had been so easy to do: it'd probably have taken 30 seconds or so if I'd known what I was doing from the start.

Reply to
John Stumbles

The guy I open the boot, using the spoon, for wasn't too happy about it either.. he had been keeping all his valuables in the boot (we were camping) thinking it would be safe not that it could be opened in seconds. IIRC he said "f'ing ell, you opened that quicker than I can with the key" I told him that was the reason I had an alarm.

Reply to
dennis

The one on entry to Hemelhempstead maternity unit did, I watched...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You used to be able to do that, just hook one of the control rods an pull. Modern cars have these bits covered these days to stop it or at least make it somewhat harder. Look at the evolution of the pop up buttons. They used to have a mushroom top that stayed proud, easy to get a wire or bit of packing band around. Then they removed the mushroom top, harder but not impossible, they then went flush when locked need to spike 'em. Now they have disappeared completely.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So it made security worse then? If it slows the staff down so that you have a chance to observe the code it is a problem.

Or do you mean it was different after a member of staff went in and you couldn't see what was entered?

Reply to
dennis

..to be replaced by sebnosr that unlock the door in a crash.

Hit the front bumper with a mallet...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

I was doing work in a bank some years ago - I was amused to see the back door of the bank had been replaced with a sheet of ply, had been that way for a couple of weeks and would be like that for a week yet. This was a working branch while the building work was going on. The plywood sheet did have some security; a couple of bolts and padlocks. :)

Amazingly, the back door didn't get kicked in.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Do the maths. You may be surprised. Assuming we're playing by the same rules of order unimportant and no digits repeated.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I can certainly see the advantage of that when locked from the inside but does it really apply when it's been locked from the outside?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I have fitted those before.. they are not just plywood as you will find out if you do kick one in. Assuming it was done by a reputable company, I was working for Chubb at the time.

Reply to
dennis

You do the math, no four digit presses will open it. There are about 3,500,000 combinations if you have to try 1,2,...10 digit numbers.

Reply to
dennis

OK, here's the math (or arithmetic).

As order is unimportant, and you are picking 5 non-repeating digits out of 10,

For the 1st digit you have 10 choices, and 5 of them are right. For the 2nd, 9 and 4

etc.

so 10x9x8x7x6/5/4/3/2/1 = 252 combinations.

I've just checked and this is the same number Matty got the other night... and even if you don't know how many digits, it's still only

1000 or so.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

This one most certainly was. Nothing special about it - just 19mm ply.

I've no doubt Chubb made reinforced temporary ply doors, if you say so.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

No but we did alarm them, and I won't be revealing how as its still done the same way AFAIK.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Thickos would kick it in, alarm or not and the more clued-up crims would be well aware of the likely type of alarm protection. This particular one more than likely had a couple of reed switches on it and the rear hallway was probably covered by a motion sensor (30 years ago, so likely ultrasonic), there was no break tape on the door, that I do know, but - as you say, it's extremely unlikely it was unprotected. It was just the incongruity of the bank being closed for the weekend by a lump of plywood that tickled me at the time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm not that good a shoulder surfing even on a fixed pad. The posistion of the numbers changed after each use. The staff where fast enough, their hand obscured most of the panel and the numbers too small(*) that it would be quite hard to get the code.

(*) Small enough not to be read from 10' away but large enough to be able see that what was say and 6, 8, or 9 or 0 last time was say a 1 or 7 the next. Given enough time and enough entries you probably could get it but not as quickly as you could with a fixed pad.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice