Oops! bendy iPhones

Surely it's fairly obvious that if you make a super slim phone case out of aluminium and THEN punch a hole in it at a potentially highly stressed point, it's gonna bend?

I presume the next iphone will go back to having the SIM card slot in the top like the old 3G.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ali? I assumed being Apple it would be milled out of a solid block of titanium :)

I suspect the core problem is Apples engineers look like this:

when they really need to look like this:

Tim Watts

It's not a sim card hole, it's the volume control.

What surprises me is that the glass apparently didn't crack.

Reply to
Capitol

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

It bends around the volume buttons, not the Sim slot.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Bollocks. The volume control is best the top. In the middle is the SIM card holder. You can tell by the small "ejector" hole. The picture on the BBC clearly shows a bend around the centre of the phone where the SIM card holder fits.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

"Best"?? Feck autocorrect! NEAR!

Reply to
Tim+

In message , Capitol writes

Well, yesterday my trusty Ainol (yes, really) 7" quad core phablet took a 30 mile round trip on the passenger seat under SWMBO. She didn't notice. It hasn't warped. It's the one I bought cheap off ebay because someone had lost the back after trying to fit it into his car. The piece of aluminium baking tray makes a good new back.

Reply to
Bill

Sorry!

Read this

Volume control buttons!

Reply to
Capitol

I have a vision...

A white T-Shirt with a picture of a bent iPhone6, perhaps in hammock format with an Android Robot guy sitting on it.

Then I'm going to wear it on full view as I walk through Covent garden during the iPhone 7 release.

Hehehe

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have sat on my xperia z. It may flex but it returns to its normal shape. Its thinner than the iPhone and has buttons on the side but is better made. Its also waterproof so you can actually use it in the rain! Oh, its less than half the price!

Reply to
dennis

So *that's* what a "hipster" is!

Reply to
Huge

You read what you like! I was commenting on the BBC story I posted the link to which clearly shows a bend at the SIM card holder. Maybe you should have looked at the picture before commenting?

Funnily enough I did not comment on a story I had not read. I am aware after more searching that phones are bending at the volume control TOO.

It's all beside the point which is that if you make a long thin tray whose longitudinal rigidity is dependant on the depth of the sides, punching big holes in it (in percentage of depth terms) is going to weaken it a lot.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's true - Covent Garden's full of people who either look exactly like that or adopt one major trait. Buddy Holly glasses being the most common

- on girls too...

Reply to
Tim Watts

En el artículo , Tim+ escribió:

Funny isn't it then, that just about every article about the bendy iPhone shows it bending around the volume controls. Like this one for example:

bent/

Take your bollocks and shove them, sunshine.

ps. it's a good idea to check your facts before making yourself look a prick on teh interwebs.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Again, I was commenting on the link I posted. Why should I comment on links I haven't posted? Offering up alternative URLs now is a bit late when your first response (which you've snipped for some reason) was to say that it doesn't bend at the SIM card slot, which demonstrably is bollocks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

+1

....excellent!

Reply to
newshound

Why are they meeting in a room with an upside down pyramid in it? Is it some kind of Masonic rite?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin